Pages

Saturday, December 24, 2016

"Effortless" Tie Knots

Hello once again everyone! I hope your break is going well and you enjoy my second post here! :P

So reflecting on what I learned during the last post, I can wholeheartedly say that it really came in handy. The Jazz Band preformed at the Big Band Dance at KR a few weeks ago and for the first time I was actually able to tie my own tie! Now that I know for sure that this book will impact my life, it's time to learn some more knots and see where/when I can use them.

Today I read through a chapter in the book, How to Tie a Tie A Gentleman's Guide to Getting Dressed, called Effortless Knots. At first glance, I expected to be able to easily tie all of the knots shown in the chapter, but after only looking at the first one I quickly realized they weren't really "effortless". I'll do my best to work through these knots and show you guys how to do them too, so you can use them when you want! Wish me luck!

I'll start with the two knots (The Four-In-Hand and the Prince Albert) used more often because they are able to be tied using just about any length and thickness of tie. According to the author, "Not only is the Four-In-Hand the most versatile tie knot available, it also goes well with nearly every collar style" (Jin 44). I feel that this will definitely come in handy for me because throughout the various different events I attend, I end up wearing several different types of dress shirts. Whether that is the one that goes with my suit for jazz, or the black one I used for Homecoming, this knot will allow me to have a tie that is interchangeable between the events. Also in the future when I have a job that may require a tie, this will be simple to use because I can wear it for any occasion and with any dress shirt. Jin later moves on to talk about the Prince Albert, stating, "The first loop shows slightly underneath the second loop, lending the knot additional character, dimension, and height" (Jin 52). While this may not be the most practical of knots for something like an everyday job in the future, it will be pretty cool to know for events like jazz performances where I can use it to express myself and add a little "flare" to my normally plain outfit. Below I demonstrate how to tie the Four-In-Hand knot, as it will likely be the one most widely used by any readers. I hope you find it as useful as I do!



The next two knots are called the Kelvin and the Nicky. The author states that the Kelvin is very similar to the Kent knot, and is best used with a thinner tie or when trying to avoid excessive bulk (Jin 48). On the other hand, the Nicky is ideal when wearing your thicker wool ties for colder weather, and works well with the all-purpose semi-spread collar (Jin 57). Due to the specifications on when to use these two knots, I won't be able to use them as much. I will definitively end up applying them once my tie collection grows. At the moment I only own about 6 different ties, none of which really fit into the requirements of these two knots. However, later on when I have to live on my own, my collection will most likely grow and I will be able to put these knots to good use. So while it may not help all that much today, it will be incredibly useful to me in the future, so I might as well learn how to do it now. Below is a picture of what the Kelvin knot looks like, as I don't have a thicker wool tie to properly demonstrate the Nicky.

Although the two may look similar, this is actually tied with
the tie facing in the opposite direction, meaning the knots are
tied differently, which gives them slightly different looks.

Like I talked about my previous post, this really shows me how many different ways there are to express yourself. Already I've looked over 8 different ways to tie a tie, and I'm not even halfway through the book yet. Also, this chapter especially has taught me the importance of looking for the beauty in small things. Everyone has something small in their life that brings them joy, and looking at these tie knots it's showing me that I need to appreciate that more. I always get so caught up with school, homework, swimming, etc. This book has really shown me that despite that I can take pride in the little things in life and use them as a short break from all the stress. Whether it's baking, messing with your car, playing some video games, or even when you get time to just lay in bed for an extra half an hour, we all have small things that we love, whether or not we realize it. So appreciate everything in life, because you never know when they might be gone, or when you might need them to help clear your head off all the stresses in life.

Well, I've said my piece, and I hope you've enjoyed it. I plan to get another post out during winter break here just so I'm not cramming everything into January. Anyway, I'll turn things over to you: What are some little things that you appreciate in your life? Have you used any of the knots from either of these posts?


Jin, Ryan Tristan. How to Tie a Tie a Gentleman's Guide to Getting Dressed. New York: Potter Style, 2015. Print.

0 comments:

Post a Comment