Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Creating the Story

            Before a movie can go into principle photography, the screenplay, or script as it is commonly referred to, must be written up. The screenplay will hold all of the actor’s lines, the general locations to film, and practically the whole body of the movie. According to Movie Making Course by Ted Jones and Chris Patmore, there are two different kinds of scripts. One is the A/V Script format, and the other is the Master-scene format. The A/V is usually used for commercials, as its main purpose is for shot references. Because I’m creating a short film, I used the master-scene format which forces whoever is reading the screenplay to read both the dialogue and other technical ideas (20, 22).
           
            The first struggle I had with writing my script was coming up with a title. It’s not extremely important to the story, however I felt as if I should establish what this short film would be called before I started writing it. In my opinion, I feel as if a title has a stronger meaning if it has symbolic meaning, rather than a literal and direct meaning. I eventually came up with the name “Citrus”, relating to how the protagonist explains the behavior of the antagonist.


            In my short-film, I tried to write it up so that it followed the Screenplay Paradigm, or a three-act-structure. This includes the setup, the confrontation, and the resolution (Jones and Patmore 16-17). The setup in my short film consists of a couple fighting, and eventually the man hitting the girl. This establishes an abusive relationship, but also that the boyfriend is extremely hot-headed. It should effectively introduce the characters and their main character traits. The confrontation in my project is when the main character, Violet, stands up to the antagonist in an aggressive manner. The resolution, taking up approximately 30-40 seconds, is Violet escaping the house she was being trapped in.

            When writing my screenplay, I took advice from several passages within the book I’m using during this assignment. The main point I tried to consider as writing this project up was to leave things open. As stated in the book, “An open script challenges the cast to create their own input…. To challenge actors means getting each to work from his own, different, and distinct personal identity rather than taking it from the script’s common pool. The good screenplay leaves the director and players to work out how things will be said and done” (Jones and Patmore 19). Another point that they make that I tried to keep in mind was to create a film that perpetually kept the audience engaged in what the characters were feeling. “In a moving personal experience, one is actively involved and feels the stress subjectively. Screen drama must, however, be structured so that characters’ inner thoughts and emotions communicate to outsiders through the characters’ outwardly visible behavior” (Jones and Patmore 19). My example of doing this is during a scene where Violet is writing out a diary entry. It’s not the best way to show character’s emotions, as I’m going against the “show not tell” rule. However, this scene is able to communicate Violet’s thoughts and how she’s shifting from a passive and naïve character to one who’s actively thinking about the situation that she’s in.




            Through the process of writing this screenplay, I did my best to make it as entertaining and as interesting as possible. I tried to make it open for my future actors to interpret their dialogue and actions in their own unique way so that my style didn’t dominate their parts. From the section of the book that I read from, I learned new techniques that allowed my writing to become more professional, which would in turn benefit my story as a whole. As I grow older and hopefully get a career in directing, perhaps these same techniques will stay with me so that I can create unique and exciting stories that will entertain audiences world-wide.

Now I have a question for those of you reading: Do you think that the meaning of a movie title (literal or symbolic) has an important impact on the story? Or does the title even hold much significance in the minds of the audience?


Jones, Ted, and Chris Patmore. "Good Screenplay Essentials" Movie Making Course, 2nd ed., Barron's Educational Series, 2012, pp. 10-13.


4 comments:

  1. To answer your question, i think that the movie title does not have a important impact on the story, but it is important to the audience. Titles are what grabs the audience's attention. Even if the movie is bad but it has a catchy title or a long title, moviegoers are gonna see it and want to watch it because the title is the initial shot that shapes the way your potential audience feels about a movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jason, thanks for the comment! I see your point about movie titles, although I don't exactly agree. I agree on your opinion that titles are what grabs an audience's attention, but I also believe they can be so much more than that. For the more artistic and abstract works, a title can be the thing that ties the film together and allows the audience to comprehend what the director was trying to say. However, I still agree with most of what you're saying.

      Delete
  2. Hey Drew! In response to your question, I feel that the movie title can have some impact on the story, but it mostly impacts the audience. Titles are what makes the audience feel certain emotions before even watching the movie. An example in my life is the movie: "Light's Out". Now, I haven't even seen this movie, the plot was just explained to me and that was enough to convince me never to watch it. Anyway, the title plays an important role for me in setting the scene and the feel of the movie. The title itself is very ominous and foreboding, so before even knowing the plot it already got my mind going. Of course, now that I know the plot it makes the title even creepier. (Hence it being a horror/thriller movie)

    So rethinking things after writing that paragraph there, I feel like the title sets the mood for the audience, but in a way it impacts them more after the movie. Once they know the movie and know all the ups and downs in it, the title holds special meaning for them. So even though you had a hard time coming up with the title I'd say it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! I totally agree with everything you're saying, Logan. As you explained, I completely agree that titles impact an audience after they watch a movie, and that it has their own meaning for them.

      Delete