Pages

Monday, December 26, 2016

Honey Vanilla Pound Cake


For my third blog post I decided to make another baked good. The baked good that I decided to make was a honey vanilla pound cake.

The ingredients include:
  • ½ pound unsalted butter
  • 1 ¼ cups sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 cups cake flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • ½ tsp. baking powder
The first step is to preheat the oven to 350 degrees, then grease the bottom of a loaf pan and set it aside.
“In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for 3 to 4 minutes, until light” (Garten, 208). I did exactly what Garten had said and I had achieved the light creamy texture of the butter and sugar combination.
 


Crack the eggs into a separate bowl. With the mixer on medium-low speed, add the eggs one at a time also add in the honey and vanilla extract. Then sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder. With the mixer on low speed add in the dry ingredients. Once the batter is completely mixed together then pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake the pound cake for 50-60 minutes. You know the pound cake is ready when you can insert a toothpick in the center of the cake and it comes out clean (Garten, 208). I baked the pound cake for 50 minutes and then tried the toothpick method, the toothpick came out with a tiny bit of batter on it so I baked the cake for 10 more minutes, then I tried the toothpick method again and it came out clean so I knew the cake was done baking.
 


After the pound cake is done baking then let the cake cool for about 15 minutes, then cut into slices and enjoy.

The pound cake was delicious it had just the right amount of sweetness and a perfect texture with a soft center and a stiffer outside. I highly recommend this recipe especially to those who don’t like too much sweet in there baked goods, this is a perfect simple delightful desert.
Do you use the toothpick method when baking? And do you prefer your baked goods to have a lot of sweetness or only a little bit?

Garten, Ina. Barefoot Contessa Back to the Basics. New York, Clarkson Potter, 2008. Print.              






1 comments:

  1. Hi Josh, I haven't had much experience with baking, but I have also used the toothpick method like you. It was a great way of testing whether or not the cake was ready. As to the other question, I like slight sweetness to my cakes. With that said, I also don't like my cakes overly sweet. Many of the Asian cakes are less sweet compared to American cakes, therefore I prefer Asian cakes way more than American cakes.

    ReplyDelete