Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Adrenaline Boosting Workouts



When most people think of adrenaline, they think of the fight or flight response that is triggered when levels of adrenaline are raised. This hormone increases glucose and oxygen levels, which are needed to physically exert your muscles. However, adrenaline isn't used for these certain scenarios, it can also be used for a more efficient workout.

With an adrenaline-boosting exercise is implemented into a normal workout routine, you can do more than you normally would because all of your physical and mental levels are boosted, allowing you to get the same level of workout done in less time.

In reading Men's Health, Get Back in Shape by David Zinczenko, I found a simple yet effective workout, that doesn't even require a machine or weights. This workout emphasizes "alternat(ing) between two movements, such as squats and push-ups, but mak(ing) them explosive by pushing yourself up with enough force so your feet and hands leave the floor on each exercise" (59). Doing multiple things at once forces your body to create adrenaline to cope with everything that is going on. A specific workout that I found was doing 24 squats, then 24 lunges, which seems fairly easy. Then you do 24 more squats, jumping after each squat, then 24 more lunges, jumping between each lunge. After these repetitions, your legs are completely drained, which is a good thing. Finally, you finish with a 2 minute plank (59). Once all this has done, less than 10 minutes have come off of the clock, and an intense workout has been accomplished.


Here I am doing a squat, working my quadriceps and thighs, preparing to explode up for a jump.


Next, I worked on lunges, exercising my glutes and hamstrings, making sure my front leg stays perpendicular and my back legs stays parallel to the ground.


To conclude the exercise, I went to the plank position for 2 minutes, with the second minute being excruciating.

After doing this specific workout, I did some other miscellaneous arm workouts, as well as a bike and elliptical session. I ended up being in the gym for about 40 minutes, but got a complete, full body workout. This adrenaline boosting workout is definitely a master of efficiency.

This workout reminded me of burpees, a workout where you do a push-up, then jump up, then start with another push-up, usually doing only 10 repetitions, but they sure are exhausting. Are there any other workouts that require multitasking that you recommend?

Zinczenko, David. Men's Health, Get Back in Shape. Rodale Inc, Emmaus Pennsylvania, 2009.

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog post very inspiring, Evan. I agree that workouts are exhausting, but then you have to remember that the feeling after working out is one of the best feelings because it makes you feel accomplished after all the hard work. The other day, I did this Insanity cardio workout that involved lots of leg/arm strength and varied in different exercises that were repeated in sets after every few different movements. The workout really brought my heart rate up. I recommend adding extra parts to your normal workout so that get more of a workout than you are already getting. After doing the same workout for a while, your body will start to get used to it so you should challenge yourself when you find the workout you do becoming easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also find that cardio workouts can be some of the toughest ones around, but only if you keep them unique. I need to keep in mind changing up my workouts to not allow my body to get comfortable with the same old same old. Thanks for the reminder!

      Delete