Pages

Monday, December 26, 2016

Fruit Smoothies


For my second blog I’ve decided to make one of my favorite types of drinks, smoothies. In my cookbook I found a recipe for a great smoothie with some of my favorite fruits in it, so I tried the recipe out to see how the smoothie would turn out.

The ingredients include:
  • 1 cup chopped strawberries
  • 1 cup chopped watermelon
  • 1 cup chopped peaches
  • 1 cup raspberry sorbet
  • ¼ cup orange juice

“Place the strawberries, watermelon, peach, sorbet, and orange juice in a blender and purée until smooth and creamy” (Garten, 224). I did exactly what Garten had said to do, but I also added some ice in with all the other ingredients so that my smoothie would turn out to be nice and cold.

You can also add some extra orange juice if you prefer your smoothies to be runnier and less thick (Garten, 224). I added about a fourth cup more of orange juice because the ice I had added before had made the smoothie a little too thick for my liking.
The smoothie turned out great in the end. This is a simple but yet a great tasty drink to make, and I recommend that you try it out sometime.
 






What’s your favorite drink? And is it difficult or fairly easy to make?
Garten, Ina. Barefoot Contessa Back to the Basics. New York, Clarkson Potter, 2008. Print.             


4 comments:

  1. Hi Josh!
    I am always excited to discover new smoothie recipes, and discover the benefits of the ingredients in the smoothie(s)!

    Personally, raspberries and strawberries are some of my favorite ingredients to put into smoothies to get that sweet taste; however, one of my other favorites are kale and spinach. While they sound unpleasing and gross to put into a smoothie, you can hardly taste them, and the beneficial properties in them are amazing!!!

    I think you should try it out sometime, and see how you like it.

    I recently have conducted some research and ran across medical practician Michael Van Straten, who has written a book completely on healthy drinks. He discusses how you can pick specific ingredients based off of the affect you want; such as peppermint giving you a calming feeling or fruits to give you energy from healthy sugars. And, they are all really easy to make!

    Nutrition is absolutely one of the most important things for a healthy lifestyle, and good tasting drinks make it that much easier to reach the healthy lifestyle!

    -Mackenzie Endrody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Mackenzie, nutrition is one of the most important things for a healthy lifestyle. And I know it can be tough sometimes to find recipes for food that are both healthy and tasty. That’s why I decided to include this recipe in my blog post, and I’m glad you liked the recipe I found. Also thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely try putting in some spinach and kale in my next smoothie I make.

      Delete
  2. It interests me reading about a smoothie you enjoy drinking, Josh! This smoothie sounds very delicious and healthy. I may have to try making this one day. This sounds like an easy, quick way to get nutrients. If I'm running late to something and I don't have time to eat at home, I could just make this smoothie and bring it on the go! Personally, my favorite type of smoothie is probably just a basic strawberry banana smoothie, which is easy to make. But, I'm always open to trying something new, like this smoothie you introduced me to! I like the way you presented the smoothie in your pictures, it is very pleasing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pleased to know you liked the fruit smoothie I found Tiffani. I definitely recommend you try it. Like you I also enjoy a strawberry and banana smoothie because it’s just like this smoothie simple, healthy, and delicious.

    ReplyDelete