Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Cheerleading Jumps

Whenever people are watching a cheerleading routine or watching a football game, their attention can be pulled towards the cheerleaders jumps. If you use the correct technique and precision, these jumps can look amazing; even if you can only jump a foot off the ground and don't have your splits. A helpful non-fiction book called The Complete Guide to Cheerleading: All the Tips, Tricks, and Inspiration has emphasized this statement often talking about how anyone can be great at jumps if they work hard and practice; but can climb to the top and be the best once that person gains flexibility, height, and endurance.

One of the most common jumps that you will see be used in a cheerleading routine or on the sidelines is called a 'Toe Touch'. This jump is comprised of jumping in the air to a set of counts, and the effect of having both legs flat in the air, as if you are sitting on the ground with your toes pointed out. Many people think that this is the simplest jump to do, and that "anybody can do it"; but it takes more than that. On page 37 of  The Complete Guide to Cheerleading, Christine Farina and Courtney A. Clark instruct us with this jump by saying, "From the start position, jump your legs into a spread-leg-toe-touch position. Although the name of the jump suggests you will touch your toes, hit a nice T-motion at the height of the jump. Be sure to keep your chest and face up" (Clark, Farina).

The instructions on a toe-touch have helped me very much with my jumps; especially my Toe Touch. When I was with my first cheerleading team at a cheerleading competition, we nearly got 1st place; but was placed in 2nd by 1.5 points because of our jump section. I do admit, as a group of 5-12 year olds, our jumps were not perfect. We received less points from our jumps because we did not keep our heads or our chests up; but once I read this section of the book and learned from my mistakes, I have now perfected my technique in my jumps, even though I am not the most flexible, or the highest jumper in the squad. :)
Image result for cheerleading toe touch





My question for all of my readers of this post is:
What is an example of a skill you have practiced and learned that people often underestimate?


MLA Citation:
Farina, Christine, et al. The Complete Guide to Cheerleading: All the Tips, Tricks, and Inspiration [With DVD]. Ed. Adam Brunner. Minneapolis, MN: MVP Books, 2011. Print.



1 comments:

  1. A skill that I have practiced that lots of people underestimate is stunting. Lots of people underestimate stunting because they think that some of the stunts are easy but even the most basic stunt takes a lot of work and can be difficult, especially if they are brand new at it. But I think that if you put enough time, hard work, and dedication into whatever it is then it'll get better.

    ReplyDelete