Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Possibilities in Origami

For this month's blog, I decided to do something that had to do with the season. I decided to create an origami snowflake that was shown in the book and expanded my ideas on it by creating different versions, which allowed me to create a variety of snowflakes from just one model. Stated by Kunihiko Kasahara, "The Snowflake reveals a new and multidimensional beauty... a wide field for additional design possibilities" (Kasahara 43).

For this snowflake, it took me many tries and redoes for me to get the paper folds correct. The pictures were easy to read, but the process to reach the pictures were very unclear with only small arrows that overlapped. I decided to go back to the key for the symbols used, which allowed me to see which ones were valley folds and which ones were mountain folds. The directions said to keep into account the marking folds as I made the folds (Kasahara 43). This really helped me as i started to create the folds in the snowflakes because the marking folds allowed me to keep me from being confused of where the folds should be made and the location of the reverse folds.

From this origami snowflake I have learned that you can create many diverse versions of one model and that the arrows shown throughout every picture and marking folds should be taken with a lot of considerations in order to make it look like the correct design. Overall, the origami snowflakes was really fun to make, even with multiple mistakes, I was able to finish and create three different and unique snowflakes.

What's your opinion: Do you like to stick with the original directions or do you experiment to create different version of the original directions and why?




Kasahara, Kunihiko. Extreme Origami. New York: Sterling Pub., 2002. Print.


2 comments:

  1. In my opinion, sticking to the directions is probably a good idea because I'm an amateur when it comes to origami.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sticking to the directions is a great way to learn and explore the art of origami. It can allow you to get a great outcome, but expanding your possibilities allows your creativity to thrive. Thanks for your opinion and reading my post!

      Delete