Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Burritos Made Easy

¡Hola amigos! How was your Christmas? Did you spend time with family? I did and I absolutely loved it! Anyway, all Christmas conversations aside, the recipe I'm going to share with you today is a simple fast fix recipe that will fill you up and bring smiles to everyone who eats it. This recipe is so simple to make that it's called Burritos Made Easy. According to Jennifer McKinney, the creator of this simple recipe, these burritos are "packed with beef and bean filling for a taste of the Southwest. And since the recipe makes eight big burritos, you can feed a crowd!" (A10). This dish is a must have if you're having a burrito bar, and is certain to fill you up! This recipe makes eight big burritos, but since I made these for more than 8 people, the pictures show 2x more food than you'll actually get if you only make 8 burritos.

The ingredients you'll need are:

  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 can (15 ounces) chili with beans
  • 1 1/4 cups chunky salsa
  • 1/4 cup canned chopped green chilies
  • 8 warmed flour tortillas (8 inches)
  • 8 slices process American cheese
  • OPTIONAL: Taco sauce and shredded lettuce

Steps to make this dish:

1. "In a large skillet, cook the beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in chili, salsa and green chilies. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes" (McKinney A10).

Step 1 - Cook the Beef and Onion

Step 1 - Cook the Beef and Onion until no longer pink

Step 1 - Add the Chili, Salsa, and Green Chilies

2. Put about 1/2 cupful beef mixture (or however much you want) on each tortilla. Add a slice of cheese (lettuce - optional) on top and roll it up. Serve with taco sauce if desired (McKinney A10).

Step 2 - Add Beef Mixture to Center of Tortilla

Step 2 - Top with Slice of Cheese (Lettuce is Optional)

Step 2 - Roll the Burrito

I know this isn't an authentic Mexican burrito, but making this burrito was one of the fastest meals I've ever made. It was simple and easy to make, but it tasted like it took hours to make. The beef mixture in this recipe was one in a million. You could taste all of the ingredients that were put into the flour tortillas working together to taste like perfection in a wrap. The beef, the chili, the salsa, the green chilies, the cheese, and the lettuce all did their part in making this burrito taste amazing!

Question:

What's your favorite Mexican food? Have you ever tried authentic Mexican food? Have you ever been to Mexico and tried their food? If so, when did you go and what dish was it? 

Citation:

Gomm, Stacie. "Pasta Arrabbiata (Angry Pasta)." The Taste of Home Cookbook: Best Loved Recipes from Home Cooks like You. Greendale, Wisc.: Reader's Digest, 2014. 294. Print.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Divine! This blog really caught my eye because of how I love food, especially the Mexican food. My favorite Mexican food will have to be tacos, kind of like burritos. I have tried authentic Mexican food, if rice counts. However, I have not been to Mexico but I usually just go to Mexican restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jade! I've tried authentic Mexican tacos, quesadillas, and burritos, and they're delicious! I've never been to Mexico either but maybe one day I'll go to put my Spanish skills to the test haha I go to Mexican restaurants sometimes too and the number one food item I'll always get is authentic Mexican tacos!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete