Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Drawing a Face for the Absolute Beginner

        In my first post I explained how I wanted to be able to create my favorite characters. The struggles of being unable to express my appreciation for a character really frustrates me, but what is even more frustrating is not being able to draw said character in the first place. In this post I decided not to draw a specific character (in fear that it would turn out horrible, it'd be an insult to the original creator) but instead, establish how to sketch a head and facial structure by following the book Drawing for the Absolute Beginner by Mark and Mary Willenbrink and adding my own details to it. 

        We learned in my previous post that sketching basic shapes is a helpful tool to begin a drawing. Hence, I started by sketching the basic shape. "Start with the basic shape egg-shape of the head. It should be five eye-widths wide by seven eye-widths high" (Willenbrink 82). The Willenbrink's then suggested to add eye, nose, and mouth lines to guide you in drawing those features (Willenbrink 82).
        
        From here, I added all the details to the face. Since the book didn't have any hair or eye tutorials, I took it upon myself to figure it out. Again, sketching basic shapes immensely did help me. 

        This here is the final product I was best able to create. I did lots of readjusting the facial structure and lines and it didn't turn out as I had hoped. Hair was the most difficult feature for me to create. I can't say I was somewhat satisfied with this outcome, but I did learn that sketching basic shapes is a reoccurring technique that should always be used and that maybe I shouldn't attempt to draw my favorites just yet. What techniques have you guys learned that seem to be a reoccurring or important aspect to always keep on hand? 

        Willenbrink, Mark, and Mary Willenbrink. Drawing for the Absolute Beginner: A Clear & Easy Guide to Successful Drawing. Cincinnati, OH: North Light, 2006. Print.

10 comments:

  1. So to answer your question, one technique I've found to help a lot with making your drawing look better is to use quick and small strokes to sketch out shapes and just draw in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a technique I quickly picked up on, on my own when I started. I think making multiple small quick strokes looks much better than using one long stroke. One instance of this technique is drawing hair. As I was drawing this, I tried to make one long stroke, but I ended up erasing it all and made smaller strokes instead. In my first post I also learned that making sketches help out a lot too. Thank you for your comment Taylor!

      Delete
  2. A technique I always use when drawing is to take time to pay attention to the details. If you closely examine photos of faces, you'll find that everything, even the whites of the eyes, have shadows and shading. Attention to even the most minor details can make or break a drawing!

    For the hair, what you've done is actually pretty good! The only note I'd have is that if you look at people in real life, the hair actually lifts off of the head, or is not completely flat against the skull. I'd recommend giving the person's hair more volume, and it will make it look more realistic. Also, hair is messy, so maybe draw strands separated from the main mass of the hair.

    Overall you did great, especially for a first attempt! :) Good job on your blog post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking time to pay attention to detail seems to an asset to art, I'll be sure to use it the next time I draw. I've never really took the time to look closely to shadows or shading before, this will enable me to be more observant to minor details. Thank you for your kind words and tips on how to improve my skills!

      Delete
  3. Hi Channy!To answer your question, the technique i use for drawing is to pay attention to detail and make sure that all angles and aspects of the face well together; for example you dont want the nose, or eyes to look bigger than the rest or standout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adama! I too, try to make all the angles and aspects proportionate to each other. I'm learning to pay attention to all details of minor things such as hair, shading, and honestly this list could go on. Thank you for your contribution!

      Delete
  4. A technique that I always use for shading is using a tissue or paper towel and moving it back and fourth over the shaded part to make it look smoother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting technique. Though, I'm sure there are many other shading techniques as well, I might try this one sometime!

      Delete
  5. Hey Channy!
    One technique I always uses is to pay attention to the lighting of the shot. I found that the lighting is very important when it comes to making the picture look three dimensional that gives the image some extra polish. Nice job on your drawing, especially with the hair and eyes of the person!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As an inexperienced artist, I never really learned a technique for drawing that stuck, I just would draw what I've seen. I took draw, paint, and design last year and one thing I picked up on was angles. Paying attention to the angle at which an object or person is facing can really affect how the picture turns out regardless of skill. Once you get the basics down I challenge you to draw a face at a different angle :P

    ReplyDelete