Pages

Monday, November 30, 2015

Vegan Pad Thai

I have been a vegetarian for about 6 months now and have loved it. I never really enjoyed meat and now I find myself eating much more fruits and vegetables. I have read many books and watched many documentaries on becoming a vegan and I look forward to becoming one one day, so a vegan cookbook was the first thing that came to my head when deciding what kind of book to choose for this project. I chose Isa Does It by Isa Chandra Moskowitz because I have heard many great things about this book and the recipes that it withholds. Before reading this book, I had an idea of what it would be like to be a vegan, but I thought that all they ate were fruits and vegetables. Now I have read and learned many recipes that look delicious and consist of many healthy ingredients, but are still no where near boring. For my first meal to prepare from the cookbook, I chose the Everyday Pad Thai. To begin, I gathered my Ingredients:

Vegatable oil
Tofu
Salt

For the Sauce:
Tomato Paste
Soy Sauce
Brown sugar
Fresh Lime Juice
Siracha
Mellow White Miso
Water

For Everything Else:
Broccoli
Garlic
Scallions
Fresh Cilantro
Pad Thai Noodles
Roasted Peanuts

The first thing that I was to do is to cut the Tofu into "cubes" and cook them so I referred to page 17 where Isa talks about "vegan butchery" and explains with pictures and descriptions how to cut tofu and tempeh into the shapes that she states in her recipes. She explained that to cut tofu into cubes you must first turn it on its side and cut it length wise. Then you turn it flat and cut it into quarters in both directions and then you have perfect, equally sized cubes. (P. 17)



In the notes section of the recipe, it said "I make this all in one pan. While the tofu browns, I prep everything else. You might save a little time by using two pans, but this method has served me well." (P. 179) After reading this I decided that since I was in no hurry, I would go with her method and only use one pan for everything. At first I though that would be weird because you would be mixing different elements of the recipe, but it worked out since you combine everything in the end anyways and I would highly recommend doing this. It makes for a much easier clean up afterwards.



Once I had made the tofu and prepped all of my ingredients, I put the tofu to the side and heated up my veggies, noodles, and sauce on the stove. After that was done, I put everything into my skillet, mixed it all up and let it soak up the flavors of the sauce for a minute before i put it on a plate and topped it with some roasted peanuts. I loved how this turned out and so did my family. I would most definitely make this again and recommend to anyone, vegan or not. 



This can be a very controversial topic, but I would like to know what your opinion is on veganism.


Moskowitz, Isa Chandra. Isa Does It: Amazingly Easy, Wildy Delicious Vegan Recipes for Every Day of the Week. N.p.: n.p., n.d. Print.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks really delicious! I'm not vegan, but I definitely want to try this out some time (I LOVE pad thai) On the topic of veganism, I think that people should be able to eat a diet of whatever they want and not be judged on it. If you want to be vegan, that's great. If you want to eat meat, that's great too. Same for vegetarians. However, I do think that veganism, in terms of ethics, is the best option. Anyways, good luck on trying to become a vegan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tasted vegan food, however this looks really good. In my opinion I haven't really had any thoughts about veganism, but it seems like it would be interesting to eat vegan food and becoming a vegetarian as well. I hope that you have a good time making this delicious food, and good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am vegetarian with a goal of eventually being vegan. I believe that vegan food is very healthy, especially for someone like me - I have a family history of heart problems. I think people underestimate the possibilities with vegan food - there can be many options when eating vegan and also it is entirely possible to gain all the necessary nutrients while eating vegan food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veganism is usually a choice by a person for either dietary, moral, and/or even religious purposes. I'm not a vegan and I don't think I'll ever want to be; I love eggs, milk, fish, meat, and other animal products too much. But if someone cooks me a vegan meal (like the one in this post) then I'd gladly eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phad Thai is my favorite Thai food and yours looks delicious! I wouldn't choose to be a vegan because I love eating meat but I think that veganism is a very healthy lifestyle choice. I respect everyone that is vegan because it's hard to make and find foods that aren't animal products, and overall, it is a peaceful way to live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not normally a fan of this type of food, but this looks delicious. Any kind of cooking takes time and patience and using one pan is a great way to save time! I think choosing to be vegan would be a hard choice because there are a lot of foods you have to cut out, but there are so many new things you can try. My cousin became one for a couple months and she said it was very hard but she felt great and it kept her healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried Phad Thai before but it looks delicious. I'm not a vegan or a vegetarian but I have thought of becoming one because of religious and health reasons. I think as long as your happy with it you should do whatever you feel like doing.

    ReplyDelete