Pages

Monday, November 30, 2015

Mashed Potatoes

I have been wanting to learn how to cook a variety of different things that taste good while sneaking in healthy things. I've often asked myself the question is it possible to eat something healthy and to have it taste good? To figure out the answer to this question, I have been reading Jessica Seinfeld's book Deceptively Delicious. In this book,, I have already found so many different recipes and ideas of ways I can sneak a variety of healthy foods into some of the unhealthiest foods out there.

I decided that for my first recipe to make, I would make mashed potatoes.

"Return potatoes to the pot and mash with a potato masher. Add the cauliflower puree..."(Seinfeld 80) The one thing that really stuck out to me was the fact that you can add a vegetable that almost everyone in my family hates and turn it into something delicious. I was finally able to trick my family into eating something that was good for them. Now I know that I can make a variety of things that taste buds like and your overall health as well.

"The whole purpose of this cook book is to be able to get your kids or anyone you make food for, to eat things that are healthy for them while making sure it;s not seen by the eye." (Seinfeld,10) I have finally been able to test this and it was proven true. You can make things taste good even if they have some secret healthy ingredient in them.

The ingredients include...

  • 1 pound baking potatoes, pealed and cubed
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup cauliflower puree
  • 2 tablespoons trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread
  • 1/2 cup low-fat (1%) milk

My question to you guys is what other tips or tricks do you have on how to slip in different ingredients without them being noticed? 

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh I love that idea of adding cauliflower. I just made a really interesting mashed potato dish for Thanksgiving. I basically made traditional mashed potatoes, then I spread them in the bottom of a pan and then covered them with bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and butter crumbles. Next I baked them again - it was really good. Another of my favorite ingredients to add to anything baked is flax seeds - I add them to cookies, bread, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love adding little things to small dishes! I honestly love veggies on the side of almost any dish. I'd prefer zucchini or asparagus, cooked asparagus. My sister has a special recipe that includes broccoli, cereal bits, mushrooms and cheese. It's not really slipping them in without noticing but it is really good(:

    ReplyDelete