Pages

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Assumptions and Their Truths

Just in the first section of this book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, by Stephen R. Covey, I learned something interesting about human nature. I’m surprised I haven’t thought about it yet, but do you ever wonder how people can get different ideas from the same concept? That would be due to our differing values that define who we are. According to Covey, “Each of us has many, many maps in our head, which can be divided into two main categories: maps of the way things are, or realities, and maps of the way things should be, or values” (24). By this definition we interpret things in two ways: the way reality would perceive them, essentially our social/cultural norms, and our own personal beliefs on the matter. I find it interesting how these two categories of maps form our opinions on different things in life. One thing I have struggled with constantly, though especially when dealing with friends, is understanding a point of view that contrasts with mine. By being aware of the factors that goes into someone’s thoughts of something, you can understand the other person’s point of view.

We also tend to make assumptions based on these maps. Whether we are aware of it or not, these assumptions build up our own behaviors and attitudes, or our personality, due to these differences in the taking in of information (24). Allow me to use a picture of a used in a study from the book to demonstrate Covey’s point (26).
 

 Now I want you, the reader, to make an assumption on what the picture shows; is it a young woman or an old woman? Keep that thought in mind until the end.










In the study, two groups were given cards showing a definite picture of a young woman, or an old woman, and looked at the cards for ten seconds before handing them back in. When both groups were shown a superimposed image of both pictures, each group saw their original picture in the new one. Once both sides began explaining their point of view however, the other side could understand both perspectives of the picture. Although it's crude, I circled the details each side made to prove they were correct.


This study applies the map idea as each group applied their knowledge, or their map, into assuming what the picture was. Fascinating, right? Next time when my group chat lights up with an argument, I now understand what goes behind each opinion that my friends have.

These strange quirks of human nature make me wonder what other ones exist and how prevalent they are in society. I can’t wait to read further into this book!


Originally, what did you first assume the picture was? What values were associated with that assumption?



Covey, Stephen R. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1990. Print.




3 comments:

  1. Great post Nic! I've always found these perspective pictures and Rorschach tests quite interesting, because it's all about perspective. At first, I thought it was the young woman, and I associated it with the ears and the face turning away. I would, maybe in a later post, like to see you elaborate on how certain perspectives on these concepts can be applicable to real life situations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback Jim! I will try to apply your thoughts in my next few posts. I was also very interested when I found this out.

      Delete
  2. At first when I saw the picture I thought it was a young woman because it looked like the side of somebodies face. I have seen many images like this one before, where I see one thing but my friend sees another. I have also read, although its probably not true, that, 'what if the reflection you see of yourself in a mirror is only what you want to see not what others see?' I have thought a lot about this question and am kind of curious if there is anything in your book about this? Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete