Pages

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Mental toughness

Mental toughness is a big factor  in order to be successful at any sport you play. If you are the most skilled and athletic player on your team, but aren't mentally tough then you are not as good as you think you are. I agree with the author of The Hoops Whisperer that a coach would rather have a mentally tough player rather than an extremely talented, but soft or overly emotional player.


In the book, author Idan Ravin uses Life of Pi as an example of mental toughness (13-14). Ravin talks about how Pi had to stay strong physically and mentally.  Pi had to stake out his own space and show the tiger that he needed him for food.  Pi had value to the tiger and they needed to co-exist on the raft.  This week we played our first game for JV basketball and I was not one of the starters for the team. I think this book can help me because I need to learn to coexist with the better players, demonstrate my unique value to the team and be tough enough to earn a starting spot. I need to stake my own claim on the team like Pi Patel with the tiger, Richard Parker.


Ravin said in the book, "I learned to coexist with Bron, CP, Melo, KD, Dwight, and the other Richard Parkers of the NBA by carving out my territory on the raft." (13) I need to be more tough about my work habits and get all my school work done early so I can have more time to practice. If I plan on becoming a starter for JV and eventually a varsity player, I can't be intimidated by better players and I need to show my value to the team.


Have you ever needed to be mentally tough to succeed? What steps did you take to help yourself becoming mentally tough?


Ravin, Idan. The Hoops Whisperer: On the Court and inside the Heads of Basketball's Best Players

6 comments:

  1. I don't think anyone succeeds without being mentally tough. In order to succeed you seriously have to believe in yourself, even when noone else does. You have to make sacrifices and this can sometimes be difficult on relationships. You must maintain focus even when others are pressuring you to be distracted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with this! You have to be mentally tough to do anything. In cheerleading when something doesn't work out its really easy to give up and let it get the best of you, but by being mentally tough you are able to push through and achieve your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes mental toughness is one of the most important aspects in anything in life! You have to be mentally tough in school, your job, taking care of family etc. In my case I play quarterback which is the leader of the team. I learned if you're not mentally tough then your team's mental toughness disappears as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you also Mason and your example of you being the quarter back is a great example

      Delete
  4. Mental toughness is super important when it comes to sports! I try to stay as positive as I can during work outs because if I keep a negative mindset, I won't be able to work as hard which ends in sorry results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes if you don't have mental toughness you get bad results, great comment.

      Delete