Pages

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Making Blueberry Muffins

I've always had a pretty big sweet tooth and I really enjoy baking, even though I am not very good at it. I've made things in the past, like those store bought cakes you make from a box, but never anything from scratch. So when this project came around, I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to try and "perfect" my baking skills. I went and bought The Back In The Day Bakery Cookbook by Cheryl and Griffith Day. This book has a bunch of different recipes for sweet treats all from a little bakery in the heart of the south. After a while, I decided to go with baking blueberry muffins, since I have always liked them. The ingredients included:
  • 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of baking powder, preferably aluminum free
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon of ground cardamon
  • 1/4 cup ground canola oil
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup whole milk
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 1/4 cup cardamon sugar or coarse sanding sugar for sprinkling

To begin I got all of these ingredients together, preheated the oven to 350 degrees and lined the muffin tray with paper muffin cups. I then got a big bowl and mixed all the dry ingredients together, which included the flour, sugar salt baking power, etc. and in another bowl I mixed together the wet ingredients, which included the milk, eggs, butter, vanilla, and canola oil. I mixed these all together separately was careful not to over-mix, (Day, 19). After mixing these all together, I did just as the author said, "Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour in the liquid ingredients, and mix just until combined. Gently fold in the blueberries, using as few strokes as possible; be careful not to over-mix," (Day, 19).
I found that folding the blueberries into the mixture was a lot better than just mixing it in, since this way all the blueberries were still intact. After everything was mixed together, I used an ice cream scoop and slowly put all of the batter into the paper muffin cups. I put them in the oven and baked for 25 to 30 minutes and let them cool. Once they were cool, I shared them with my family and most everyone liked them.
A lot of people liked these muffins, but one thing I found out is, I do not like cardamon. It should have been a indicator to me that since the smell was not that good, the taste probably was not going to be good either. Overall, I think these muffins were pretty good, but if I were to do this again, I would not use cardamon at all. It made the muffins taste a little weird, but otherwise it was really good. I would definitely recommend this as a must try for first time bakers!

Do you think that if  someone used fresh instead of frozen blueberries, this would taste different? Is there any way to tell if an ingredient used in the recipe is good or bad for the recipe?

Day, Cheryl, and Griffith Day. The Back in the Day Cookbook. New York: Artisan, 2012. Print.

7 comments:

  1. I think fresh always tastes better. They tend to be plumper and more juicy. Yours look delicious, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought that too, but the frozen ones kept their shape while baking, instead of getting all mushed like the fresh ones do. If i try this again, i think i will try fresh instead of frozen.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Your muffins look super good! Would love to try this recipe out since I enjoy baking as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! and aside from the cardamon part, they were pretty good. If you do try them out, tell me about it.

      Delete
  3. Those blueberry muffins look delicious, even with the cardamom! I think there are many ways to tell if an ingredient will be good for a recipe! Around Christmas time I was baking a cake from scratch, and it called for canola oil. I didn't want to use canola oil because it's not that healthy for you. So, for whatever reason, I decided to use olive oil. I knew it wasn't a good choice because olive oil has a stronger flavor than canola oil, and is better used in cooking with food other than sweets, but, I went ahead and used it anyway. Using coconut oil would have been a better idea because it has a sweeter side to it. The cake turned out just fine, but I could definitely taste the olive oil. Essentially it's just whether the ingredient will taste good in combination with the other ingredients being used. However, I think it all comes down to what you like. See I love cardamom because we use it a lot in Swedish baking, so I've grown to love it. Thus, I wouldn't have minded using an ingredient like that in the muffins you made. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think if you used fresh blueberries then it would taste a little different but not a whole lot. Also I believe that you don't know if the ingredients is good until you try it and see if it works or not.

    ReplyDelete