Pages

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Perspective on Purpose

Like most religious individuals, I was born into a family that already practiced certain beliefs. Growing up a Christian was like learning to walk, it was just integrated into my life naturally. As I grew older, Christianity taught me rules and morals that I needed to live by. It spoke of people who fiercely carried out their purpose through God's will, regardless of the trials and tests they were given. As I've grown older, I've learned that there's love behind these firm rules and how I need to learn from the leaders that exalted God's plan through their lives. But how can I best carry out my purpose while following these leaders and rules during both the ups and downs of life? The book Live Love Lead written by Brain Houston helped me reflect on my purpose as a Christian this month. Houston testifies that it's easy to feel overwhelmed in the cycle of tasks that need to be done, along with the occurrence of emotionally overpowering moments (Houston 24). I often let myself become overly stressed and worried about failures and high expectations which can come from school, friends, or family circumstances. Stress and worry can seem inevitable and gaining motivation and confidence can be a difficult task. Yet, questioning how God will use my purpose for His plan seems to be easiest in the midst of hardship.
 As Houston talks about important figures in the bible he testifies, "Time and time again, no matter who it is, they were all overwhelmed. And yet God gave them sufficient grace to fulfill their unique purpose and calling. I have to trust that He does the same for you and me today" (Houston 25). Houston has made me realize that even the leaders with the strongest of faith were prone to falling. But their stumbling assisted with affirming their purpose even more, as it brought them closer to Christ. This can also be applied to my life. As I worry over the tribulations that cause my sense of purpose to waver, I fail to realize that His grace needs to be trusted in order for my purpose to be readily used and exposed. I can't continue to try and find purpose in difficult times if I'm not looking for it through God. This urged me to spend more time with God this past month as I was reminded of the grace that gives me purpose.
 Houston makes it clear that purpose should be found in living a full, abundant life with passion, perspective, and peace. Every morning of each day should be something to get excited about as the Lord sets it out before you. Unexpected obstacles and hardship shouldn't be seen as a frustration when you know you're doing what you were made to do by living an authentic life through the liberating grace of God (Houston 28). Houston has reminded me that living with purpose involves a change in perspective. I need to trust that His grace abounds through every situation. This should be enough to give me motivation to live a life filled with purpose.
What gives you purpose? How is that purpose justified in your life?

 Houston, Brian. Live, Love, Lead: Your Best Is Yet to Come! New York: FaithWords, 2015. Print.

2 comments:

  1. Serving others gives me purpose - rather this be through the role of a teacher or a mother. I really try to be a positive influence on the lives of everyone who touches my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very cool insight to Christianity

    ReplyDelete