Pages

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Origami Hydrangea

I have been interested in origami since I was a kid. As I've gotten older origami has become not just a fun activity, but a way for me to relax and create lovely paper objects. Creating flowers has been one of my favorite things to make because I can give them as gifts to my friends and family and they can turn out beautiful.
Beautiful Origami Flowers: 23 Blooms to Fold by Anca Oprea is the perfect book to help me enhance my flower folding abilities. In this book there are instructions to fold flowers that I have never seen instructions for before! A flower that is new to me is the hydrangea which I tried today.
To begin, you start with a basic square base with the colored side of the paper on the inside. Oprea says to "Fold the top point down about 1/3 inch. Make sure the crease is really sharp"(64). This is an important piece of advice for me because even though it is important to have sharp creases when you make anything in origami, I always make the creases too light.


Thanks to the tips from the I was able to get a clearly visible diamond shape when I reopened the paper. Continuing, I pushed in the sides to isolate the diamond-shape in the figure. The instructions say to sink fold the diamond center and completely fold down the sides to obtain the figure shown in the book.
Here is when I reached a problem. For some reason my paper didn't look the picture in the book. I looked in the book and found a page that explained how to do a sink fold. Oprea says to push the paper so it turns into four triangles that meet at the tips(15).  I tried doing this instead of what I was doing before and then my paper looked like the book's picture.
How I had my fold before

What it should actually look like

The advice has taught me what a sink fold means and now I can start using this information to help me make other flowers.
I continued following the instructions until I eventually finished my flower.
The final product

On its own, I don't know if it really looks that much like a hydrangea. It is only a small hydrangea floret. In my opinion, the floret is kind of pretty by itself. Oprea suggests putting nine of these florets together to create one big hydrangea flower.
Is one flower by itself pretty enough or is having many flowers better?
Oprea, Anca. Beautiful Origami Flowers: 23 Blooms to Fold. New York: Lark, an 
     imprint of Sterling, 2014. Print. 



1 comments:

  1. In the past, I have done a lot of origami. Something that I would recommend is using your thumbnail to crease your folds. Doing this will make your folds extremely neat and clean. One of my favorite origami flowers of all time is the lily. It looks extremely realistic and is actually three dimensional, unlike the flower you made. However, it is quite complex but is definitely worth the effort. Here's a URL to the instructions in case it's not in your book. http://www.origami-instructions.com/origami-lily.html

    ReplyDelete