Pages

Monday, November 30, 2015

Piggy Hugs

Guinea pigs! Such a misleading name, for they are not pigs (they're rodents), nor are they from New Guinea (their original home is Peru). But that doesn't make these adorable, cuddly creatures any less lovable!

Cavies have always been a part of my life. In fact, my first pet was a guinea pig when I was five years old, and there hasn't been a time after that when our home wasn't shared with at least one of these cavy babies. I myself have my first female pigs at the moment: Mochi (1 year old) and Bean (7 months old).
Can you guess which is whom?

Well, you may ask, what makes guinea pigs so appealing? Guinea pigs are mostly very docile and are quick learners. And just like people, guinea pigs have their own personalities that bring them to life. Author Debbi Noble said that the personality and intellect of a guinea pig is largely dictated by its breed and the age it was adopted into a home (6). Mochi, the classic American, was around six months old when we rescued her. Bean, who is of the "Teddy" breed (distinguished by their short, fuzzy fur), was only two months old when we adopted her a short time after Mochi. Both are very clever girls, and I've taken this opportunity to teach them simple commands.

But first things first!

At the heart of any kind of training, one must remember the basics. In training your guinea pig, this means knowing the basic way of interacting with your pigs: picking them up and holding them. Noble warns piggy owners that that in itself can be a struggle, so she gives this advice. "Move slowly and cautiously, and once you've caught it, hold it gently. Keep two hands on it at all times, one above the animal and one below... One popular way of holding a guinea pig is to have your left hand on the bottom, with its head pointing to your left elbow and its rump on your left hand. Cover the guinea pig's shoulders with your right hand" (16, 17). I don't usually hold my pigs in this position, but the important thing is to "have good control of the animal and that the control is caused by having multiple points of contact with your pet" (18). I applied this advice with my pigs and held them in multiple positions: how Noble described and  how I usually hold them.







 I've found that what Noble said is true! Whatever position I held my pigs in, I found that once I placed both my hands on my her and made sure her lower body is properly supported, she would stop tensing up complaining and instead turn quiet and relaxed. This was the effect on both Mochi and Bean, especially when I had one hand over the top of their body and they were close to my own body, like a hug. Having as much physical contact as possible is important for your pet to feel safe when you are hold them, especially when moving around.

But the journey isn't over yet! Having your pet trust and feel safe around you is only laying down the fundamentals for training them. Next time, let's see how Mochi and Bean fare with being taught to "come here!"

I'm interested to know if any of you have pets. What was the most important part for you in training and teaching your pet(s)?

Noble, Debbie. Guinea Pig Pets: Train Your Guinea Pig The Easy Way! N.p.: Shaharm Publications, 2014-2015. E-book.                          


2 comments:

  1. I used to train llamas. The most important part for me in training them was to be patient and to be considerate of what they were experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pia! I have two Guinea pigs at home and they get so tense whenever they get picked up. When we take them out for their daily play we will have to try holding them like this and see how they do. I think that the most important part of training is being patient and showing love. If you get upset that they wont do what you want then It will be harder to get things done because they can feel your upsetness. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete