Pages

Sunday, November 29, 2015

The New Dewey Decimal System (For Me At Least)

I was a pretty avid reader before school started and I got swamped by things to do and this is pretty evident in my book collection. I actually don't have any books in my room and rather have a lot of them in my sister's room and about a shelf the computer room. I'd rather not knock on my sister's door to grab a book so I've decided to move a select few back to my own room if I get bored in the middle of the night and decide to read. Again, using Marie Kondo's advice from The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing, we discard things that don't bring us joy first, then rearrange. Kondo like before when organizing clothes, put them into categories then subcategories, which she does the same with for books:

The bookcase in my sister's room with half my books on it.

"If there are too many books to arrange on the floor all at one time, I ask my clients to divide them into four broad categories:
General (books you read for pleasure)
Practical (references, cookbooks, etc.)
Visual (photograph collections, etc.)
Magazines" (Kondo 88).

It took me a while to gather up all the books I own in the house but thankfully, the only books I own are general books and I own one practical book which is a game guide. After dragging them all in my room, I judged the pile on whether I wanted to throw them out or not by the same criteria I had with my clothes, 'does this bring me joy?'. In the end, most of the books we own, we are never going to read again so Kondo recommends to throw out those unread books because 'maybe' essentially means never (Kondo 89). Kondo even goes as far to boldly state for us to "Keep only those books that will make you happy just to see them on your shelves, the ones that you really love. That includes this book, too. If you don't feel any joy when you hold it in your hand, I would rather you discard it." (Kondo 90).

It was actually pretty hard picking which books I wanted to keep because on the bookshelf in the computer room, my dad and I actually store two layers of books in it like so:


I'm very happy with the few books I did decide to place in my room though and my sister and I decided to get rid of a lot of picture books that we were never going to read again. Though my book collection is really small compared to a few other people I know, I do expect it will change though because as I grow older, books will be exchanged for new ones and some more will be added. My sister and dad decided to keep most of the chapter books we own still and donate the picture books though. Here's a picture of the books I have in my room as of now:



Which books are really memorable for you and have really made an impact on you guys?

Kondō, Marie. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing. Trans. Cathy Hirano. N.p.: Ten Speed, 2014. Print.

4 comments:

  1. That looks so pretty and organized. I loved A Wrinkle in Time and when I was young, I read that book over and over and over. I really liked The Wind and the Willows as well and read that repeatedly. I loved the Lord of Rings - the entire series. My dad read that to me when I was really little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My dad made me read Lord of the Rings when I was little as well so we could watch the movies together. I'll have to read A Wrinkle in Time as well since I'm into sci-fi but I've only really tried to read some H.G. Wells and Jules Verne.

      Delete
  2. Looking at my own bookshelf after reading this, I realized that I too have a lot of books that don't "bring me joy." I love how your section of books turned out and I think I'll have to do that soon (just keeping a few favorites like Every Soul A Star, which I used to read all the time, and a couple others). I really related to the part about how if you don't read a book right away, you probably never will, seeing how there was many books that I have that I've never even picked up. I'm excited to try this for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I find that it works really well and it forces my room to become more clean and neat as well so that's definitely a plus. It also makes me not leave my books everywhere around the house and return them to the right place.

      Delete