Pages

Monday, November 30, 2015

Creating a Perfect Focal Point


A focal point by definition in this book: Photography by Nicole Woods, is "something that your eyes cannot let go of" (Woods 36). If we go layer by layer of detail of this photograph to the right, a camera placed between two front-facing mirrors, we can see the mirror behind the camera is out of focus, however we can see the basic shape of the camera and hand being replicated through the other mirrors. But what you don't see is how dirty the mirror is. This is how you use focus to your advantage and exclude doesn't degrade the picture's quality because the main object of the picture is still being focused on. What I have learned through personal experience and through this book is what this book states: "just make sure that you choose something that captures the hearts of those who look at the images once they are produced" (Woods 36). I believe I am getting closer to this quote's description of a photograph's objective by experience. This book gave me a new understanding of photographs with that last quote and I treat photographs differently. Overall, if you don't want something in the picture, either remove it entirely or focus out of it. In this case, I needed the mirror and that's why I decided to focus out of the mirror. All photographs I took are over 4K (3888x2592px) resolution as proof of my improvement throughout my recent photographs.

What do you think of these photographs?

Do you see an improvement on these pictures below and how so?



       Woods, Nicole. Photography. Lexington: CreateSpace, 2015. Print.





4 comments:

  1. The improvement I see is that there is better focus on the subject of the photo itself. My book states that the better the focal point the better the photo. This helps when taking any Photo, you have to have a main focus on what the photo is all about.

    ReplyDelete