Pages

Monday, November 30, 2015

Essential Guide to Fly Tying

 I've always wanted to learn how to tie flies more in depth. Before reading this book "Essential Trout Flies" by Dave Hughes, I knew how to tie very basic flies. The mixture of colors and specific amount of material just seemed too hard for me to master.

One of the main things I was doing wrong was that I covered the point of the hook in the clamps. In the book, "Essential Trout Flies" by Dave Hughes, he taught me, "Don't try to cover the point of the hook with the jaws; that crimps the wire, weakening the hook" (Hughes 14). I always wondered why my hooks were so weak. I would cover the point of the hook because it helps shield the thread from the sharp part of the hook. This saves the risks of weakening the thread you are using to tie with. I found out that if you put the hook farther down in the clamp, the point of the hook isn't covered up but it is still shielded. This makes sure it doesn't cut the thread you are using to tie with. Using this technique doesn't weaken the hook.

The picture below is of me doing the basic Soft Loop which is the main way to tying the material you are using to the hook with your thread. "You'll use a soft loop nearly every time you tie a new material to the hook shank- tails, bodies, wings, whatever" (Hughes 14).



Hughes suggested practicing the Whip Finish method. The Whip Finish Method is basically a technique to tie off the thread so it doesn't unravel when you cut your thread. "You must finish every fly head with a whip finish. Many experienced tiers execute the whip finish with their fingers" (Hughes 15). Even though I'm not an experienced tier, I prefer using my fingers because it's a lot faster. Also it's one less tool to deal with in your workplace. In this picture, I'm using the Whip Finish Tool. I practiced this Whip Finish Technique a few times on a hook that has only been threaded.



This isn't the best fly but this helped me get a feel for tying flies again. This helped me practice, threading the fly, adding material to the fly, centering the hook, and Whip Finishing.

One easy tip for tying flies is to find short cuts for yourself. For example, I don't use this Whip Finish tool to save some time. Another tip is to keep yourself well organized, have all your fly materials labeled and in a spot that you can easily find them, grab the amount you need and tie away.

Do any fly tiers out there have any other tips to help me in my journey to tie flies?



Citation:
Hughes, Dave. Essential Trout Flies. China: Jim Schollmeyer, Tracy Patterson and K Yonenoi, 2000.

0 comments:

Post a Comment