Pages

Monday, November 23, 2015

Fit: The True Enemy of Style


The reason you think people have such great style is simply because they always wear clothes that fit them. Finding the right pair of jeans or the right skirt is never an easy task. Going to the store, trying on hundreds of pairs of jeans and not being able to find the right pair, now that is the worst! Do you ever just look at someone and wonder how they can get their clothes to look just right on them? Dressing up isn't just about wearing the clothes that are in style, it is about finding the clothes that make you who you are. 

Don't just dress to impress others, do it to impress yourself too! 

Dressing up isn't just about looking "cute" or "hot," it is about expressing yourself to the world without having to use words. Freer says that even the perfect looking garments can look bad if they fit poorly(24). This teaches me that no matter how perfect a piece of clothing can be, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't look good. Period. 






Freer claims that your properly fit clothing should always do what you want it to do. You should be able to move your arms and legs without getting creases everywhere (13). This taught me one big thing in fashion, and that is to get clothes that look just right on you. Alison Freer says, "It is a total lie that you need a certain body type to be truly stylish" (12). For most of my life, I loved and enjoyed every part of fashion, yet most of the time, I spent my time worrying on how I might look in a certain outfit; fat, weird, not for me type of outfit and does this even go...? Freer taught me that I don't need to be the skinniest girl or the girl with the perfect body and face to dress stylish. She taught me that I can be who I want to be with just the right fit of clothes. 






Once you start looking for clothes that fit and stop fooling yourself into buying clothes just because they are in "style," you will be in awe of how much better you look and feel in your clothes. Try on something you normally wouldn't and see how much you love it. 





"Getting the proper fit in a pair of pants is a true house of cards."(17) Freer emphasizes that jeans play a big role in fashion. If the jeans don't sit right in one area, they won't sit right in any other area. Trying to find the perfect pair of jeans is a battle. Alison helps me figure out how to find myself the ideal jeans. From explaining where they should fit on the waist, to explaining the way they should look on me. 


Buying a good pair of jeans always pleases me! I love wearing clothes that express what I like and who I am. Life is too short to wear boring clothes.


How will you start showing off the real you? 

Freer, Alison. How to Get Dressed. Berkely: The Speed Press, 2015. Print. 

2 comments:

  1. You have such great fashion sense. I love your pictures. I tend to get lazy about appearance and put about zero effort into outfits and/or hair, but I know I should do more. I feel so much better when I put a little effort in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you(: I enjoy dressing up. We all have our days when we tend to get lazy and throw on some comfy clothes, I do it too and there's no problem in that! Just don't make it a habit.

      Delete