Pages

Monday, November 30, 2015

Music Theory: The Basics

Hello Again!

In this post, we will be covering some of the basics of music theory, such as notes, scales, and other things that every musician should be pretty familiar with.

First of all, and most importantly, the notes. "The musical alphabet has only seven letters: A, B, C, D, E, F, G. Once you reach G, you return to A," ( Hewitt 21). Although the system starts at A, the most recognizable, and most used note is C. C is the white key located to the left of any group of two black keys on a piano (Hewitt 21). The main reason that C is the most important note, is because of its scale, discussed in the next paragraph. Some of you may be kind of confused, thinking to yourself, 'There is no way every song could be made with just seven different notes. and you are right, which brings me to my next point. There are notes between the notes. BWOOSH. Mind blown... or maybe not... Anyway, these notes between the main notes, are referred to as the black keys, while the main letter notes are called the white keys. The black keys are all named in relation to the white keys beside them. For example, the black key directly right of any C is called C sharp (♯), as it is the black key that is raised one up from C. This applies to every other black key. They all take their names from the keys left of them, and add a sharp. BUT, this is not always true. Indeed, if only to make this already topic even more confusing than it already was, the notes can also be named in relation to the white keys to their right. For example, that C♯  could also be called D flat (♭), and an F♯ could also be named G♭. These wonderful notes are called enharmonic equivalents, and while they may seem kind of pointless to you now, they become very important for all music that you will have to work with.

Following the logical order of things, scales are next. The C scale, particularly C major (other scales will be discussed later in the series) is widely viewed as the easiest scale to learn, and to play, well, for the piano at least. The reason for this is that the C major scale only uses the white keys on the piano, which correspond to each of the different letters of the musical 'alphabet,' starting at C, then going up the list through D, E, F, G, A, B, and back to C again. Below are a couple of the different ways the C musical scale is written, and a sound clip of the scale for those who haven't already had it ingrained into their permanent memory. Basically, for a major scale to function, you must have certain intervals between the different notes, called semitones. As you can see from the first picture of the piano roll, there is uneven vertical spacing between some notes. The pattern that every major scale uses from one note to another, going up, is 2,2,1,2,2,2,1 (the intervals between notes). Using this pattern, you can create every major scale in existence, starting on different notes. Practicing that and learning all of you scales can really help with any type of music you are going to use.

Next up is how octaves work. Once you've mastered scales, octaves should come fairly naturally to you. The concept is pretty simple. One scale of C major all fit in one octave, and when that scale reaches the next C, it has hit the next octave up. Basically, every C on the piano is in a different octave from one another, each spanning a 12 semitone difference. Using different octaves is very important in any song, so that it feels full and no two parts are too similar that they detract from each other, like having a lead guitar, bass, and a piano, all playing in different octaves. If it was all the same octave, the song would sound all messy and not as good as it would with the use of octaves. Trust me, this has been tested for a VERY long time.



Pictures... Yay!

C Major Scale in FL Studio
C Major Scale in FL Studio 12 Piano Roll

Although it may be more recognizable in the traditional notation style for those of you out there who have already gone through this torture.

C Major Scale in Traditional Notation


Here is a version you can hear.



How beautiful.

Well, I think that that is enough torture for one blog. Please join me again next time for another EXTREMELY fun, and particularly enlightening post.

Oh, before you go, I would like to know:
How do you plan to use, or already do use, this information in your life? Do you play and instrument, are into composition, or are an avid DJ who is trying to get into music production? What is your story? 
Let me know in the comments!

Bye!


Hewitt, Michael. Music Theory for Computer Musicians. Boston: Course Technology, 
     CENGAGE Learning, 2008. Print. 

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I can see why the Music Theory is not fun. Although I played the clarinet in the 6th grade (I never enjoyed it), I never actually tried to learn how to play an instrument. I just however am starting to get into some dubstepish-vibrant kind of music. It sorts of gives me some background music whenever I'm doing something. This post is very helpful. I'll be looking out for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^
    Music theory is incredibly fun to learn when you're a four year old learning to play piano. I remember my mom telling me, "C# and Db are the same!" And I would be like, "OH MY GOSH THAT'S SO COOL." We learn all this stuff in choir every year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I can't read music, I'm definitely into listening and learning how to play. Right now I know how to play the guitar and bass. I'd like to learn how to play the drums at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been learning over a couple years how to play guitar and mainly I taught myself without knowing the notes or how to read music but it would indeed be helpful to know so that I could learn how to better play songs that interest me without having to listen for what chords they are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Music theory is also very confusing for me.  But I still review them every time I practice since scales and octaves are what I use a lot.  I use this information for my piano practicing every day and I do a couple compositions time to time so keeping this in mind is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete