Pages

Monday, November 30, 2015

Aspects of Mental Fortitude in Baseball

Baseball along with all other sports, demands not only physical strength, but mental strength as well. Building confidence is one main aspects of being successful in baseball. This can be done using numerous tactics. The particular section that I focused on in "The Mental Game of Baseball" had to do with visualization techniques.

By practicing with visualization techniques, you form good habits
Typically, visualization is not the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about baseball. This was especially true for me. I never really thought of visualization as an important aspect of the game and treated it as a strange and taboo gimmick more than a real, working practice. I also believed that I didn't possess the time and energy to practice a new skill because of school work and other activities, especially when I thought it was going to be a waste of time. Dorfman and Kuehl would say the opposite of me. They claim that visualization is an actual method of practicing successful baseball habits and will improve performance. Both authors say that if you see and feel yourself playing the way that you want to, it can be as rewarding as it is relaxing and can be practiced anywhere at anytime. (148) I tend to have trouble locating problems in my swing. Dorfman and Kuehl's writing has really helped me so far by allowing me to visualize my swing the right way before actually performing it. Using


Success in games is a result of practicing visualization
One of the many techniques for successful visualization is replaying past effective performances. By replaying the right things that you have done, you can make these successful attributes of your playing habitual and repeat the right things, as well as dismiss the wrong things. "See and feel yourself performing just the way that you wish to. Do it again-and again. Keep your attention directed to this practice as you would want to keep your attention during the real practice." (148) In my practices, I keep the mental images of me doing things the right way in mind, so I can successfully perform in games and strengthen my skills as a baseball player.


Would you agree with Dorfman and Kuehl that visualization is more than just a gimmick?

Dorfman, H. A., and Karl Kuehl. The Mental Game of Baseball: A Guide to Peak Performance. Lanham, MD: Diamond Communications, 2002. Print.




7 comments:

  1. I used to play baseball in 6th grade. I have thought about getting back at it again and playing. What tips or advice do you have for someone like me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for taking so long to reply Riley. I suggest that you try out for the KR team!

      Delete
    2. Can you elaborate on this please? What would it take to make the team?

      Delete
    3. I suggest training for the season. There will be team workouts available shortly. I think that if you are really serious about making the team, you should attend these practices.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Dorfman and Kuehl about visualization. Your post has really helped me to focus on what skills I still need to work on in the future. Looking forward for the next post! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David! It's nice to know that people like these posts. Good luck with your visualization!

      Delete
  3. Coming from some experience in baseball I can totally agree with you. I used to think that baseball was this scary sport that people got injured in... So when my parents signed me up, I was terrified to stand up at home plate and hit the ball. But in reality I always visualized myself getting seriously hurt instead of focusing on the fun part of baseball. Dorfman and Kuehi, as well as you say that you have to visualize yourself doing the sport and that's probably the best thing you can do. Your post really helps me understand as a player what I need to work on and what kind of mentality to have! Looking forward to the next post!!

    ReplyDelete