Pages

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Finishing Edges

     In Me and My Sewing Machine, by Kate Haxell, she explains how "most fabrics will fray to some degree, so the raw, cut edges of an open seam allowance need to be neatened - or finished as it's also called - to prevent them eventually fraying so far that the seam splits" (Haxell 32). She is trying to explain how I need to close the edges of my fabric by sewing it to prevent any tears. This is a useful tip I can apply to my sewing projects because it will give my projects a more professional look and make them last much longer.


     Kate later explains that the most commonly used stich to use is a zigzag stitch (Haxell 32). Based on what I know about zigzag stitching, I can say that it's more sturdy that just straight stitching. I can then infer that it will finish the seams tighter and more secure leading to a better chance of the project not fraying.


     I applied this tip to a current quilt I am working on sewing and it gave one of the squares in it a really nice professional looking edge. This square looked nicer than some of the other squares which appear to already be fraying.




Here is an example of what my squares looked like before I applied the technique:






And now here is an example of what my squares looked like after I applied to the technique:








Has anyone ever looked at their clothes or a blankets and noticed how nice and clean the edges looked sewn shut? This is because a seamstress has used this technique while in the making.








Haxell, Kate. Me and My Sewing Machine. Lafayette: C&T, 2010. Print.                         

2 comments:

  1. Good job so far :). I am doing knitting for my project and I want to learn how to sew soon. To reference your question, I never really paid much attention to my clothes and blankets having clean edges. Now I know that to get these edges the seamstress has to do a zigzag stich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I am glad that you were able to learn something from my post! :)

      Delete