Pages

Monday, November 30, 2015

Importance Of Finger Placement

Music has always been a huge part of my life, considering I've been singing ever since sound could come out of my mouth, but I never gave interest in learning how to make music with instruments (besides my vocal cords, of course!) until I realized how essential the background instruments are in modern music. So i'm calling out all those people, like me, who love music and want to learn how to make it themselves to try and learn guitar with me!

As I've learned the hard way, you can't just pick up a guitar and start magically strumming beautiful music; you have to learn the basics before anything. A crucial part of strumming chords on the guitar, although sounding like a waste of time, is to know where you put your hand and fingers on the guitar. David Brewster proves that knowing this information is important to playing the guitar by recommending where to put your hand that holds the fret of the guitar from his book Teach Yourself To Play Guitar:

"Place your thumb on the underside of the guitar neck" (6). 

This tip is important to remember because the pressure from your thumb, I find, keeps your fingers close enough to the guitar at a comfortable position to press down on the strings to create a chord! When I first picked up a guitar and started strumming, my hand wasn't supporting my fingers and when I put my fingers on the strings, the sound was not pleasant. It turns out knowing the basics of a simple thumb placement is crucial to playing well! 

Now that we know where our fret-hand should be to help with our finger placement, Brewster gives tips on finger placement in order to get the correct sound. He explains that you should

Arch your fingers in order to not only make sure you can reach all the strings, but also because flat fingers could result in a muted sound of the string. Brewster adds that the pressure you use to push down on the strings should only be coming from your fingertips so that the sound quality is good and it doesn't press down on the string below it (6). 

This was a very stressful and complicated thing for me to get down, which seems ridiculous to me now because it's such a simple concept. Whenever I put my fingers on a string and strum, the sound would be dulled down. I realized I was using too much of my finger tip with not enough arch, so it's essential to keep those tips in mind when attempting to play chords. The first video shows a dulled and muted sound in result of pressing down flat on the strings instead of arched, which the second video shows, resulting in a proper sound of the chord you're playing.

So what do you guys think: Is learning the basics a waste of time or worth it? Would you rather just painfully work through your mistakes?

     Brewster, David M. Teach Yourself to Play Guitar. Milwaukee: Hal Leonard, 2004. Print. 

7 comments:

  1. I think learning the basics is very vital to playing guitar. I play it myself and if you practice the basics (which is brutally boring), it will pay off when you get to harder strumming patterns because you can properly place your fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the insight Ruby! I definitely agree with you that practicing the basics will pay off in the long run, so that's what I plan to do until I feel confident in learning the more difficult skills. :)

      Delete
  2. I have been playing guitar since I was in middle school, and I never received lessons. Because of this, I neglected to learn the basics of strumming, so my strumming can be unclean at times. I think you should definitely learn the basics, because without the basic skills you will never be able to progress into harder songs. However, it is possible to become a decent guitar player without ever learning the basics. I know this for a fact because no one taught me anything about guitar and I was able to progress despite this and become a halfway decent guitar player.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also know people that taught themselves and they turned out pretty good, like you, Binh! It's reassuring to know that even without getting lessons from professionals to teach you the basics, you can learn on your own and become just as good. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I believe that it is very important to learn the basics for guitar before playing. Like you I tried to just pick up the guitar and play. My dad plays the guitar so I had him help me learn the basics. If you know someone who plays the guitar well ask them for help. I find it very helpful and eye opening. I asked my dad for help and he told me that playing the guitar is a little like playing the violin, you have to have the correct amount of pressure on the string for it to sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input! I really like the advice your dad gave you about how the guitar is like playing a violin. It makes sense to me because I know exactly how much pressure you have to use on the strings when playing a violin because I played it in 6th grade. Also, I agree that it's a good idea to get help from somebody-- that's why I turned to this book and also have my friend come over sometimes (who knows how to play really well) and help me!

      Delete
  4. I think that learning the basics is very important because it allows you a strong base for whatever you do after that and allows you to progress into more complicated rhythms and patterns of music.

    ReplyDelete