Pages

Monday, November 30, 2015

Drawing a hand pose

Drawing hands has been pretty much a challenge for me, and so I got a book that was written by my most favorite drawing instructor Mark Crilley. I have created a sketch of a hand following the instructions of a book called Mastering Manga 2. Mark Crilley suggests that you try to draw out your own hand to see how it looks and it helps out to remember how long are the fingers compared to the thumb. "It is worth drawing your own hand, palm facing forward, to help you memorize the length of each finger in comparison with thumb and the rest of the hand" (Crilley 56)
For almost all us, drawing hands have been a huge challenge mainly because of the many poses and the way the hand looks and so I'm going to try on sketching out a hand.
"I have chosen one of the most common poses- that of the hand at rest when the arm is relaxed" (Crilley 56) Because of the fact that I'm a beginner at drawing hands, this quote shows how some hand poses are easier then the other.

What I first did was use a ruler by 2 inches wide and height was 4 inches then line in half leaving two boxes 2 inch by 2 inch for each of the two boxes. After that, I sketch out the palm, drawing the wrist and thumb, and then later on sketch out the four fingers. I tried to make the fingers curve a little bit.






After drawing the fingers, I later on added on wrinkles to the palm, wrist, and  joint of the thumb. Also, making a simple line at the joints of each of the fingers.











 The finishing touches were ink the drawing, I used PITT artist pen to make the final touches of the hand. After finishing this drawing, I would have to say that it needs more improvement. So I'm going to continue on practicing the hand poses more.














Do you have any difficulties when it came to drawing hands?


Crilley, Mark. Mastering Manga 2: Level up with Mark Crilley. Cincinnati, OH: Impact, 2013. Print.

3 comments:

  1. Ever since I started drawing hands have been the hardest for me. It usually turn out very disproportioned. This post and the technique used seems very helpful. I will definitely try this technique, hopefully being able to draw more realistic and proportioned hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first attempted drawing hands, they came out really awkward. Looking at my hand in the pose I am trying to draw has really helped me to improve.

    ReplyDelete