Pages

Friday, November 27, 2015

Test Taking

Cal Newport provides us with test taking strategies in his book, How to Become a Straight A Student. He states, “Years of informal experimentation by successful students have demonstrated that the most effective way to tackle an exam is to answer the easiest questions first, and this is exactly what you should do.”(Newport 119). The effect that this has had on my academic achievement is that it has allowed me to get better grades. Tests are the most important part of getting straight As, and being able to take them efficiently and effectively are imperative to having success as a student. Using Cal Newport’s strategy, I have been able to get the highest number of points possible in a shorter amount of time. For example, starting first on the easy problems will get you the most points possible, so then you can use the remaining time to do the difficult problems that you’re not so sure about. If you do a test in the order the questions are presented, if you get to a question you don’t know how to do early on, you may end up taking too much time on it and become rushed near the end. Doing the questions from easiest to hardest eliminates this problem. Cal Newport also says that double checking your work up to the last minute can make the difference between an above-average student and an academic star. (Newport 122). Using this test taking strategy, I have been able to effectively utilize all of my given time for my test instead of wasting precious minutes. In the past, I have been lazy about double checking, but now that I have tried it, I noticed many errors that were easy to correct. If I hadn’t checked my work, I would have missed many easy points. What are your strategies for tests, and how well have they worked in the past? If you’re not satisfied with your test scores, do you think it’s time to utilize some of these strategies to maximize your test scores? Newport, Cal. How to Become a Straight-A Student. New York: Broadway, 2007. Print.

3 comments:

  1. I like to complete (in each section) the whole reading, answer all the really easy, obvious answers, then go back to answers that I struggled with. I eliminate the obviously wrong answers and then begin to work through what I have left. I always take any extra time given to check my answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice scores!
    I've heard of this method of test-taking before, but I seem to have an inability to skip questions on a test; I absolutely HAVE to do them in order, even when the easy and difficult problems are shuffled around. Yet I'm always left with some amount of time to double-check. I agree with you that this is a critical turning point for an average test-taker to a star student's grade. Now that you've shown how this method of test-taking really helped you out, I will try to attempt it on finals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on your tests!
    Surprisingly I actually use the strategies you've talked about. I like to work on a problem two or three times; when I still can't solve it, I move on to easier questions. In the end I review the questions I didn't know and check my work.

    ReplyDelete