Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Playoffs

Playoffs have started and my teams are in it. I'm confident in how I'll do because of the win streak I have going on into the playoffs. My team is hot right now and has peaked at the right moment which is a great sign. Things that I cannot slack on are paying attention to player statuses and picking up free agents that may be vital to a victory. Basically, I just have to be prepared and vigilant as possible. I have to think ahead and come up with different scenarios where my players perform differently and how that may impact my team. Like other things in life, you have to be able to plan and think ahead so you don't make a mistake you regret. This is a lesson I have learned while playing because there will be unexpected situations that come up where it puts you in a tough situation. "We study rosters. We scour the waiver wire. We mull over a million different moves. All we need is one more stud for the stretch run. Just one. Getting him, however, isn't always easy" (Berry 167). You can do the most research in the world in the world and that still won't guarantee you a win. That's the thing about fantasy sports, no one knows how well a player will do. All they can do is speculate and put their research together to give them the most confidence in their team. According to Fantasy Life by Matthew Berry fantasy sports are all about research and luck. So even tough you think you have the best team in the world, something will happen and make life a lot harder on you. One thing to take away from playing this game is to learn how to bounce back and make the most out of something lost. I've been starting to do more research than normal on players and been more watchful of their statuses based on what the book has been telling me.


Have you ever been in a situation where you had to deal with adversity from something unexpected?


Berry, Matthew. Fantasy Life. Westminster: Penguin Group, 2013. Print

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you decide whether to sit or start a player for a week? How do you decide which match ups that your players can take advantage of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Kevin, I do a lot of research on the teams my players are matched up against. For example, if my running back is going up against a team with a weak run defense, then I'll probably start them because of the favorable match up. What it comes down to is how consistent the player is and who they are playing. I also take into consideration the recent performances of the player. If they are on a hot streak, then I would more likely start them.

      Delete
  3. Great post and I have had to overcome adversity for something unexpected. I have never played fantasy football but now I want to try it and I think I have a good idea of how to with this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben and I think it is something you would like. Most people that try it for the first time really get hooked on it. When playing with a bunch of your friends, it's a fun and competitive experience.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. I have never played fantasy football before. What are some tips you have for a beginner like me? Great post by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Alec, some tips I would suggest for you are that you should join a league with a bunch of your friends. They'll teach you the rules and you can go from there. If you pay attention to the NFL and do the right research on players, then you'll do fine your first year. Things you should know are the rookie mistakes beginners usually make. This includes drafting a defense or kicker in the early rounds. Also, unless the quarterback is top two or three, do not draft one in the first round. If you do decide you want to try it, I wish you the best of luck.

      Delete