Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Pancakes

I have always loved eating pancakes in the morning for breakfast. But after seeing what was in them, I realized how bad they are for our bodies. I kept wondering if there was a better and healthier way to make pancakes but still have them taste good.

In the cook book "Deceptively Delicious" Jessica Seinfeld states, "Sweet potato puree both sweetens and boasts the nutrition of this simple, quick breakfast."(Seinfeld, 57)

The secret ingredient to these pancakes if sweet potato puree. Not only does it make the pancakes healthier, but you can't even taste it. The ingredients are as followed.

- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sweet potato puree
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup pancake mix
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tb vegetable oil
- pure maple syrup, for serving






I decided to add some blue berries to some of the pancakes just to add some fruit to the breakfast and to add some sweetness to the overall taste of the pancakes. 

Seinfeld goes on to say "I had tried everything and finally released that if you put in foods that are healthy but appear the same color as the main dish, my kids weren't able to see it or taste the difference." (Seinfeld, 10) 

I too can testify to this. My family is very picky about what they put into their mouth. But they in fact gobbled down these pancakes and could not tell a difference compared to normal pancakes. 

I have now been able to learn that it is possible to sneak in healthy things and still have it taste amazing. 

What dishes, if any, have your parents snuck something healthy into it without your knowledge of it?

Seinfeld, Jessica. Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food. New York, NY: Collins, 2007. Print.


3 comments:

  1. Mckayla, I really love this idea of incorporating a hidden healthy food into regular food! It's really hard to do with some food since it changes the taste, but I'm excited to try this recipe because I eat pancakes very often and the concern about them being so unhealthy would be gone. My mom once made brownies with spinach in them, and I didn't realize the spinach was in there until she told me because I couldn't taste the spinach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something that I have to try. I have always hated healthy food, and I always do realize how terrible most food is for you. Healthy food just does not taste that good, and with this recipe, I think I may come not to hate it. When I was younger, I always loved eating mashed potatoes and I remember my mom used to sneak kale into them so I would eat healthier. It did not work that well, since I could see it. Now the tables will turn, and I will try to give this to my family and see if they know they are eating something healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you added fruit to the pancakes. Adds sweetness and tastes better too. I also love topping pancakes with strawberries and honey, tastes amazing and its healthy! I'm going to try the sweet potato puree, seems odd and different but its worth a try.

    ReplyDelete