Pages

Monday, December 28, 2015

Combining Sketching Approaches

In its first chapter, Drawing for the Absolute Beginner by Mark and Mary Willenbrink details 4 different types of sketches: structural, value, contour, and black and white. The drawing of a face that I made combines structural and value sketching. Structural sketches focus on an object's shape, giving details on how it is constructed. (Willenbrink 17) On the other hand, "a value sketch is used to observe a subject without much regard to structure or proportional accuracy. Here you focus on the lights and darks of your subject" (Willenbrink 18).




Combining these approaches in my drawing was pretty straightforward. I first outlined the face's basic shape and drew the eyes, nose, lips, and ears. To complete the drawing, I shaded in the values to give the face form.

Does anyone have any tips to share that could help me improve at drawing?

Willenbrink, Mark, and Mary Willenbrink. Drawing for the Absolute Beginner. Cincinnati, Ohio: North Light, 2006. Print.


1 comments:

  1. This post has helped me on shading a lot, these techniques is very useful for me and I really wish I could give you advice on shading but I'm just a beginner in drawing.

    ReplyDelete