Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Photographic Lighting: Basic Lighting


I have been trying to perfect my photography skills before I am in Photo 2 class for 2nd semester. Digital Photography is something we barely had touched on last year in Photo 1, but I was not the best at it. Before reading the book The Best of Photographic Lighting by Bill Hurter, lighting for the digital photos was not something I had really thought about a whole lot. Most of the time last year pictures were graded on the quality and the content, not the lightning. Hurter says that “Light is the key raw ingredient of Photography.” (Pg.5)

After reading the book I decided to look back at some of my previous photos of digital photography and compare them to some of the ones I did more recently after reading the book. And I got to say, from just reading the first 2 chapters, my photos improved significantly in a lot of different things.

This first photo was one I had taken last year during Photo 1, and its techniques are not greatly used. I took this photo late at night in my living room using a lamp for an extra light source. Hurter said that “Earlier and later than these hours [9AM-3PM], the color temperature dips, producing a warmer-toned image” (Pg.22)

The second photo I took recently during the daytime. It was really sunny but very cold outside but had the perfect lighting which made the picture that much better. “Daylight photos are balanced to render colors….they produce the most accurate color during the middle of the day (9AM-3PM)” (Pg.22). Hurter’s recommendation really made a huge difference in the outcome of the photo.



The way I applied hurters knowledge to my own photographs made them a lot better than they were before. I know now that I to make the photos turn out better, they need to be taken during the day, not late at night. The quality of the colors pop out better, and the light quality wont turnout as greyish.

Hurter, Bill. The Best of Photographic Lighting: Techniques and Images for Digital Photographers. 2nd ed. Buffalo, NY: Amherst Media, 2006. Print

0 comments:

Post a Comment