Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Pizza Skewers

On a Stick! has many appetizing foods to look through, but out of all 80 pizza skewers is a must-make. My last blog of deep fried mozzarella was pretty simple, so I decided to go with something a little harder but not too intense yet. To begin I gathered all of the ingredients:
  • 8 popsicle sticks
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flower
  • 1 (13.8 oz) can refrigerated pizza dough
  • 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. store-bought pizza sauce, divided
  • 2 cups grater mozzarella cheese, divided
  • 1 cup toppings of your choice (optional)
I chose not to add any extra toppings because I prefer just plain cheese pizza. After preparing, the oven was set to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, and lightly sprayed pam on a cooking sheet. Now it was time for the actual pizzas! The first step is to dust a cutting board with flour and roll the dough onto it, shaping the dough into a 12 inch square, about 1/2 inch thick. The second step is the only one I changed a little bit; the directions state to spread 1 cup of the pizza sauce over the dough (Armendariz 87), but that seemed like too much pizza sauce for me, so instead I put on about 2/3 cup. Then add 1 1/2 cups of cheese on top. The next step is the most challenging, which is to roll up the square of dough so it looks like a log, but it had to be done very carefully so no cheese would fall out.




After rolling, cut into eight pieces and place on the cooking sheet, and, finally, cook for 12 minutes. These pizza skewers were definitely best right out of the oven, as the cheese was still sizzling. Although they're supposed to be "skewers", I found it was easier to eat them without the stick.


Overall the mini pizzas were amazingly good, and will be made again. As the author Matt Armendariz states, "they're fun, different, and delicious" (87) which he was not lying about... and Ethan agrees!



What are your favorite toppings to go on a pizza?

Armendariz, Matt. On a Stick! Philadelphia, PA: Quirk, 2011. Print.

5 comments:

  1. This definitely seems like a fun new recipe I might have to try! My favorite pizza toppings would have to be black olives or pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so fun to make and delicious! I will definitely try it out next time instead of making regular pizza. My favorite type of topping would be pepperoni since it adds more flavor to the pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually tried this recipe at home and i gotta agree, it's delicious! When I made it, i pressed cheese lightly into the outside as well and it made the whole thing a little cheesier and therefor even better (if you love cheese as much as I do)! One this I would say to try next time is cutting the dough into a circle shape, putting on the toppings, and then folding the dough over the toppings to make a little ball shape! Its like little pizza balls and it is AMAZING! I loved reading your blog and am excited to see the other recipes you have for me to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this looked so good I showed it to my mom and she can't wait to make it as an appetizer for a football game! I love pizza and I would have to say my favorite toppings are BBQ sauce instead of marinara and pineapple and red onion, and of course, lots and lots of cheese! Nice job, Savannah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete