Pages

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Drawing Male Front View

Today, I'm will be drawing male front view. Usually, whenever I draw front view the problems that I face are the head being way too big and the neck being too small and short meaning it's looks like a giant huge head with a small body. Using the instructions from the book Mastering Manga 2. Mark Crilley says when drawing either male or females that there are two main key differences are the eyelashes and the nose. "If you compare the drawing of the female face with that of the male, you will see that the key differences come down to just two things: the eyelashes and the bridge of the nose" (Crilley 16)
For me, drawing front view is something I should start off drawing to get better at seeing the shape of the head, the neck and along with facial expressions and also the hair.
"Artists have long understood the decisive power of a few lines added or subtracted in just the right places" (Crilley 16) This quotes means that by just either adding or taking away lines in the correct places you'll see the decisive power that lines hold.  

The first thing that I did was draw a rough circle, and then using a ruler to split the circle in half in vertical and horizontal. (The vertical line will help you on placing the nose, while the horizontal line will help you on the eyebrows and eyes for later on)






Sorry in advance for the rest of the pictures being a little off! (^^,)


Okay, the picture as you can see is a little bit off, but what I did was on the lower half of circle was divide it up into four equal part. (The first line will help you with the eyebrows, and while the other two will help with placing the eyes)








 

Next, was adding lines for the jaw, I focused on the angles of each of the lines and also the shape that creates between them and the circle. Also, the distance between the bottom of the circle and tip of the jaw must be equal to the three sections from the picture above.






 Now, I added the eyes which are between the first top two horizontal lines.(The eyes will rest on the third line) The nose will be kind of at the point of where the vertical line meets to bottom of the circle and the mouth will be a little bit closer to the circle than to the chin.

 After that, I added the ears and details to the eyes. A vertical line for the bridge of the nose, then two lines above each of the eyes to show the upper eyelid.
Later on, I would add lines for the hair, neck, and the shoulders. As you can see the upper line of the hair is drawn a little farther away from the circle.

After I shaded the eyes, I began to a draw out details for the hair.












Finally, I used to PITT artist pens to carefully ink all the lines, but I made some adjustments to the drawing meaning that I added more details to the hair, eyes, and ears and also adding an indication of shadow below the chin.
I had also erased and also fixed some mistakes before using pens (Note: Any kind of pen should be okay) After the ink dries erase all the pencil lines.

The drawing turned out pretty okay along with many mistakes but in the end the head wasn't so big nor was the neck too short or small.
As for the next drawing, I going to do still do a front view but next time it will be Female front view.









 Did you have any problems when you're drawing heads?




Crilley, Mark. Mastering Manga 2: Level up with Mark Crilley. Cincinnati, OH: Impact, 2013. Print.

2 comments:

  1. Is it true that if you erase the drawing a couple of times you will get a perfect circle? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, that's not the case because I draw really bad circles and if that was the case I would have ripped the paper by now. They say "practice makes prefect" However for me, practice does not give you prefect circles. ^-^

      Delete