Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Sugar Cookie Tarts

For my second project, I decided to do something more dessert related, and the book I have, The Back In The Day Bakery Cookbook has categories of things you could try to bake, and I went to chapter 6, which is cookies. Now this recipe has a lot of steps you must follow, but it does not have a huge list of ingredients. The ingredients include
  • 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
  • 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup homemade jam (or just one you prefer
Once I got all of the ingredients together, I mixed to flour and baking power, then set aside, (Day). Next I mixed together the butter, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy, which by the way, took a very long time to do if the butter was not at room temperature. Afterwards, I added the flour mixture and mixed until combined, making sure I did not over mix the dough, (Day).
Next, the book said to get all the dough together, then divide into halves ad shape into balls. You had to wrap them in plastic wrap, and flatten them into disks using the palm of your hand. Now the book says, "Place the disks in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 weeks,"(Day). But since I started doing this later at night, I just put them in the fridge until the next morning. After doing this, the dough was very tough in the morning and felt like a solid block of dough, so it was very hard to manipulate. To shape the cookies, they said to wait till the dough was at room temperature before I did anything. While waiting, you should line two cookies sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Once at room temperature, place the dough on a lightly floured surface. With the first disk I made the mistake of not following the books directions, so you must "place a piece of plastic wrap or wax paper on top and, using a rolling pin, roll the dough out to 1/4 in. thick,"(Day). I made the mistake of not putting the paper on top of the dough, and it was extremely hard to roll out. Next use a 3-4 in. cookie cutter to cut the cookies into your shape, I just used circles, then cut a 1 1/2 in. hole in half of the cookies so jam can peak out.
I had to use a teaspoon measuring spoon, because I did not have anything that was 1 1/2 in. in diameter that was easier to use. Once you cut holes in half of the cookies, place the cookies without holes on the cookie sheets, then place 1 teaspoon of jam in the center and top with the cookies with the holes. 
I may have done it in slightly the wrong order, but it worked out anyway, so either way would work. Next you must place the cookies in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to chill, and repeat to the remaining dough. Once chilled, bake the cookies one sheet at a time for 10 to 12 minutes, rotating halfway through so that your cookies are completely done. They should be lightly golden on the edges and the jam should be bubbling when the cookies are done. Let cool for 20 minutes, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and enjoy!
Overall, these cookies were not that difficult to make, they just took time, and they were really good. My only thing is that they were kind of dry, because I think they are supposed to be tea cookies, so I would just say eat these with something to drink nearby. Either way they were pretty good if you got a bite of the jam with the cookies on every bite. I used blackberry jam, but feel free to use any kind you want. I would totally recommend that anyone who likes cookies, should try these out. 

Is it a better idea to put the dough in the fridge for the least amount of time (30 min.) or overnight?
Is 1 teaspoon of jam too much or too little?
Day, Cheryl, and Griffith Day. The Back in the Day Cookbook. New York: Artisan, 
     2012. Print. 
Displaying PART_1451003052278_20151213_130154.jpg
Displaying PART_1451003052278_20151213_130154.jpg
Displaying PART_1451003052278_20151213_130154.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Yumm! These Cookie Tarts look very tasty! I think only 1 teaspoon of jam is to little because the cookies themselves look pretty big so I would add more jam to cover the entire top of the cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you should put the dough overnight and maybe use a little less jam for the best taste. This looks very good and I want to try this for myself.

    ReplyDelete