Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Blondies

Cookies are good. Brownies are great. Blondies are the best (mostly because they can be described as a combination between brownies and cookies). Even after making my first dessert, I still don't feel like I'm that good at baking so I decided to continue to stick with the simpler recipes (I do plan to make more complicated desserts in the future).

Ingredients

Gathering some of the ingredients
1 stick (4 oz./ 120g) unsalted butter
1 cup (4 3/8 oz. 125g) all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
3/4 cup (6 1/4 oz. /200g) dark brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/3 cup (2 1/2 oz. 75g) chocolate chips
(Zohn 70)

Batter for the blondies
To start, I melted the butter and then added the dark brown sugar, vanilla extract and egg (Zohn 71). When I did this I had to be very careful when I was adding in the egg since the melted butter was melted and I didn't want that to cause the egg to cook. After that, I had to "add the flour, baking soda, and salt to the butter mixture, whisking just until incorporated. Switch back to the spatula and mix in chocolate chips" (Zohn 71).


Next, I poured the batter into the parchment lined pan (Zohn 71). Finally, I baked it at 350º F for 25 minutes into the top was cracked and let it cool for 40 minutes (Zohn 71).

Blondies before being baked

Finished product
Finished product


Overall, I would say the blondies were a success. The only thing I didn't like too much was the overwhelming taste of butter in them (considering I used an entire stick of butter for this). I don't know if I would make this again considering I could make these much faster using a boxed mix or just buy them from the store.


Do you think it's worth it to make foods from scratch? (Or would you rather just buy it already made for you or make it from a boxed mix?)

Zohn, Alexandra. Baking. New York: Penguin Group (USA), 2014. Print.







2 comments:

  1. Hey! These look amazing! I think it is worth it because if you bake from scratch with the right people you can make a lot of memories that will last you a life time! Hope you had fun with this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think that it's a really good point. Cooking/baking doesn't have to be about the end result- the experience could be great as well.

      Delete