Pages

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Note Taking

In a section focused on note taking, Cal Newport provides us with tips for formatting. He states, “Skip lines with wild abandon, use tabs freely, change the font size, write entire sentences in all caps, throw around asterisks like penny candy… do whatever helps you visualize the important concepts.” (Newport 72). In other words, Newport is stating that formatting your notes aggressively could help make them easier to understand. Using his advice, I was able to pick the important ideas out of my notes and better recall the concepts while reading over my notes. Cal Newport also provides us with advice for note taking in technical courses, which is vastly different from note taking in non-technical courses. He states that it is imperative that you record as many sample problems as possible (Newport 80). The effect that this has had on my academic success is that I am able to go back and look over the sample problems when I am struggling to complete a problem. What do you think is the best method of taking notes? Newport, Cal. How to Become a Straight-A Student. New York: Broadway, 2007. Print.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite way of note taking has been Cornell Notes style. However, I also agree with what Newport says about writing down sample problems. That helps me in math a lot to have a problem written down for me. Overall, great information Binh. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer to take notes by listing the information as I see/learn it. I also incorporate what Newport says about making things stand out with colored pens and highlighting important ideas.

    ReplyDelete