Pages

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Origami Passion Flower

The flower that I've chosen to work on today is what Anca Oprea calls a passion flower.

I start with one sheet of origami paper with the colored side down and I make a valley fold through the middle to make a triangle. Next, Oprea says to "Fold the figure in two, but do not create it completely. Just pinch the paper to mark the middle of the triangle. Fold the left side of the triangle down as shown in the photo"(69). With her advice I now know that I should only make a type of mark so that I know where the middle of the triangle is instead of an entire crease.

Continuing, I fold the other side down. I lift the left flap and squash the flap down with a squash fold.

I do the squash fold on the other flap. Then I fold the tips of the triangles in and fold the triangles in half with a valley fold. 

For the next step, Oprea says to spread glue on the left flap of the figure (70).  This advice helps me because I know have a technique of spreading the glue instead of just dabbing the glue on which can the petal coming apart. 

I press in the two sides together and I've completed one petal.

There are five petals needed to create an entire flower so I repeat all the steps four more times to create four more petals. To complete the flower,  I glue all of the petals together to make one full blossom flower.
A full blossom flower!

To glue my petals together I used Elmer's Glue. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what kind of glue I should use?

Oprea, Anca. Beautiful Origami Flowers: 23 Blooms to Fold. New York: Lark, an 
     imprint of Sterling, 2014. Print. 

1 comments:

  1. I would recommend using pritt stick glue. Pritt stick glue provides a much more ideal clean smear of glue on paper. Especially when using lighter origami paper. Hopefully you have found this information to be useful.

    ReplyDelete