Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Minecraft Survival: Armor

A Good Defense is A Good Offense

Besides a stable weapon, Armor is an essential you need to get while in the world of Minecraft. Without it, chances of you surviving are slim. By reading this you'll find out how useful armor is, different recipes to craft armor and what kinds of things armor can protect you from.

Like the sword, armor can be crafted using different materials you get in the game. The materials you can use for crafting armor are leather, gold, iron and diamond. There is also chain-mail armor, however, "chain-mail cannot be crafted, but can sometimes be acquired through villager trading, or if a mob (monster) drops it when it dies. Leather, gold, iron and diamond armor can be also be dropped by mobs". (Milton 15). A unique fact about leather armor is that it can be dyed to get a different color, making you look stylish as you slay enemies. However, personally I think diamond is the correct way to go since its the strongest you could get.

When you equip a piece of armor in your inventory, an armor bar will pop above your hotbar. It consists of 10 chest plates. A chest plate is worth 2 defense points that represent 8% protection. (Milton 16). You can only achieve up to 80% of total protection, because you'll never be completely immune to damage in Survival mode!

The armor recipes for the different armor pieces are found below:

These Recipes can be arranged using leather, gold, iron or diamond.
Each armor piece has different defensive points depending on what material is being used. Down below are each piece of armor and a complete explanation of what they do.

A Helmet is crafted using 5 pieces of a material. 
- Leather is 0.5 defense point
- Gold, chain, and iron is 1 defense point
- Diamond is 1.5 defense point
Fun Fact: A helmet is not the only thing you can wear on your head. You could also wear a pumpkin or a mob head!

A Chest Plate is crafted using 8 pieces of a material. It is completely different from your chest plates above your hotbar.
- Leather is 1.5 defense point
- Gold and chain is 2.5 defensive points
- Iron is 3 defensive points
- Diamond is 4 defensive points

Trousers aka Pants are crafted using 7 pieces of a material.
- Leather is 1 defense point
- Gold is 1.5 defense point
- Chain is 2 defensive points
- Iron is 2.5 defensive points
- Diamond is 3 defense points

Boots are crafted from 4 units of a material.
- Leather, gold, and chain are 0.5 defense point
- Iron is 1 defense point
- Diamond is 1.5 defense point

It's smart to craft chest plates and pants first since they are stronger than helmets and boots, but the main goal is to craft armor for your entire body to protect yourself from danger. However, there are some dangers you cannot avoid from even if you are wearing armor.

Armor can protect you from:
- Mob attacks
- Arrows
- Explosions
- Player attacks
- Fire and lava
- Cacti
- Getting struck by lightning
- Being hit by a falling anvil
- Being hit by chicken eggs

However, armor cannot help you from the following:
- Falling into the Void
- Ongoing damage from fire
- Suffocating inside a block
- Drowning in water
- Poison
- Potion of harming
- Starvation
- Being hit by snowballs
- other harmful potion effects

Armor gives a player the best protection affordable. Like swords and bows, armor can also be enchanted to make it even stronger than normal. You now know what armor can do for you, and with your previous knowledge on swords and bows, you're able to face the world of Minecraft. However, you also have the possibility of enchanting your items for stronger use. Would you be ready for combat or would you enchant your items first?

Milton, Stephanie, and Paul Soares. "Basic Weapons." Minecraft: Combat Handbook: An Official Mojang Book. Scholastic, 2014. Print.

4 comments:

  1. I would work myself up to try to get the best armor I could in that moment. For example, sometimes if I only have a certain amount of iron ingots or whatever, I wouldn't want to waste it crafting boots, but to save up for something better, like an iron chest piece when I got more of the material. This strategy generally works for me, but I don't seem to use it whenever I find gold armor, as it seems to be not as effective as iron or diamond. Enchanting items is also a great idea, yet I tend to not do it as much on my armor. Can't wait to see more posts about this, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, I am one to enchant items before I go into combat. But I am also one to try my best to avoid combat. Also, I don't usually use any wood armor. Iron armor is when I start actually wearing armor. And when it comes to enchanting, I usually just enchant my weapons and not so much of my armor. Nice simplistic and very helpful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really helped me a lot. When I play Minecraft with my cousins who friends I usually don't know the point value when it comes to protection. I usually just go for the one that looks the best and I usually lose in a combat situation. GO ME! Anyways, this was really informational about how the armor system works. Only suggestion is do it in survival mode not in creative mode. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I only showed it in creative in order to show you guys the recipe. But survival is key with armor.

      Delete