Pages

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Parisian Chic: Fashion Faux Pas !

𝓐ccording to Ines de la Fressange, a French model, obtaining the Parisian style without being born in Paris is quite simple, as there are a few golden rules to follow (Fressange 11)

For this post, we'll be talking about some of the "faux pas" to Parisian fashion. I'll be giving what she and myself have to say on almost each item.
 >> While you're reading, do you guys agree with what she says? Are any of you guilty of these faux pas?<<


1. Hair Scrunchies
  • "Too girly" (Fressange 68)

2. Fishnet T-shirts (Also known as mesh t-shirts)
  • "Difficult to see how these could possibly flatter anyone, apart from Madonna in Desperately Seeking Susan" (Fressange 69)
3. Leggings 
↳ My opinion: Honestly, when I read that leggings were a big no, I was kinda upset, because I feel like every single outfit I wear has leggings! They're such a comfortable and versatile piece of any closet, as you can dress them up or down, and too different styles. In these two pictures below, you can see that I'm wearing leggings in both!
 


4. Cropped t-shirts 
↳ My opinion: I feel like if you're a 25+ year old living in Paris, you probably wouldn't wear crop tops or see anyone wear them, but as for people our age, they're very trendy. While I do have very mixed opinions on them (I personally do not like them on myself if they're too cropped) I do think that they're appropriate in some places, but probably not in Paris if you're on the older end. 
5. Too many mixed materials
  • "Satin + velvet + chiffon + tweed = textile overdose" (69).
↳ My opinion: Out of the entire 3 pages of faux pas, I feel like I agree with this the most. While it's good to have a variety of textures in your outfit, instead of having all the same fabric and texture (like double denim or wearing a leather jacket and leather pants!) Having too many different textures and fabrics is just too much going on at once, it's like mixing tons of bright colors or tons of different patterns. Sometimes just narrowing it down to two different textiles is the right thing to do.


⇾ π‘€π“Ž π’―π’½π‘œπ“Šπ‘”π’½π“‰π“ˆ ⇽
Style and fashion are both very flexible things. I am someone who does enjoy the Parisian style, but will I follow absolutely all of these rules? No ! I prefer to incorporate classic pieces from certain styles into my wardrobe, to create a more open ended wardrobe, that allows me to mix and match. What I got out of this section of the book, is that "oh, here are some rules, but you don't have to follow all of them as if your life depended on it, it's more for how Parisian you want to look, follow more rules if you want a more Parisian look, and the other way too". But, this section is actually quite helpful for knowing how to not look like a tourist for a trip to Paris, even if that wasn't the main goal for the book! 

𝑀𝑒𝓇𝒸𝒾 π΅π‘’π’Άπ“Šπ’Έπ‘œπ“Šπ“… !
  π’₯π‘’π“ˆπ“ˆπ’Ύπ’Έπ’Ά 𝑀.


Fressange, Ines de la, et al. Parisian Chic: a Style Guide. Flammarion, 2011.

4 comments:

  1. Don't forget to include an MLA formatted citation and open-ended discussion question with every post that you make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My citation is at the very bottom and my question is right under the second "paragraph" !

      Delete
  2. Your sense of fashion is very unique! The Parisian style is very interesting I never knew there was such thing. But I disagree with how leggings are a big no. I wear black leggings in almost every outfit I wear. They match with any colors, different types of footwear, and they are comfortable. Leggings are a staple to my fashion and can really add to outfits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we agree Jamillah! I agree with you that you can really mix and match with leggings. They're so comfy too and a lot more easier to wear compared to other types of pants !

      Delete