Pages

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Importance in Variation of Art

"When I started Art school, I had a Yale-trained drawing teacher, Micheal Economos, ... His reputation for hard work and relentless exercises  preceded him. Here is the first exercise, ... the one that made us mentally salivate for an organic shape to draw, the one that made me a better drawer," ( Sherman 20). The quote from the author above, speaks about special exercises using different types of line variation to create unique art and improve your skills as an artist. Here, below, are some of the examples shown in the book to give an idea of how people could use lines to make unique art.
 Overall, I think stepping out of your artistic comfort zone can be scary, but after you attempt an exercise like this, you may enjoy drawing more when there is a special twist to your drawing. As stated in the book, "this activity works to improve your skills," (Sherman 20). Personally, while I attempted this activity, I didn't see any improvement in my artwork, however it was a cool style of art to work with. I would highly suggest others to try this style of art or take on this type of activity.
Above, is my attempt at working with this artistic exercise. I used only lines in my artwork to fit in with the description of the exercise. Although this is not my favorite work made, I did highly enjoy trying a new type of style and attempting something I had never tried before.

Does trying different art styles (such as this one), improve your artistic abilities?
Bicknell, Sarah. Sherman, Whitney. Playing with Sketches. Beverly, Rockport Publishers, 2014.





6 comments:

  1. I love this one - you are so talented. Yes. I think anything you add to your toolkit improves your abilities. You might not do it exactly the same next time, but perhaps take bits and pieces and make it your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree with what you are saying, adding new styles and techniques can make your artwork so much more vibrant and unique.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sarah,

    I really love your piece and all the different emotions shown in the faces. The use of the red really made the piece stand out and that intrigued me. I agree with what you are saying that trying new techniques will benefit your artwork. What other drawing styles or techniques are you planning to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Regarding your question, throughout the book I've seen many more challenges like this one, for example in another blog post I attempted to use my left hand. I think drawing or creating art different from how you normally do can make your art much more vibrant.

      Delete
  3. These are great tips to get started in the field of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jarod, I agree. I feel that people may be able to take from this exercise to start making more variety in there artwork.

      Delete