Pages

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Having the Right Composition

Photos are everywhere today. It is always on social media and we're always taking photos. So I've decided to pick the book Read This If You Want To Take Great Photographs by Henry Carroll. I want to learn how to improve my photography skills and take more aesthetic photos. Also learning how to take better photos is going to make my Instagram look great! Because who wouldn't want a cool looking Instagram feed?


"When lining up your shot, it's your subtle movements that will make everything slot in to place- a little lower, a touch to the left, a couple of steps back. When composing your image avoid passive areas that don't add much" (Carroll 25).

This section of the book is focused on composition which is a major skill in photography. So before I take a photo I want to make sure everything is in place and is in frame. I also want to make sure that unnecessary areas that won't add detail are not included in the photo.




Taken in Portland Oregon
Taken at Over the Rainbow Tea Bar




In these two photos that I took I followed Carroll's advice on having proper composition. I took a few steps back moved left to right to make sure everything I wanted to include in the photo was in frame and I made sure that those areas I included added detail. Composition is just one out of many skills in photography I hope to continue to improve in many other skills as I move along. Thanks for checking out my first post and stay tuned for more! :)

Question: What does having proper composition add to photos?

Citation: Carroll, Henry. Read This If You Want To Take Great Photographs. Laurence King Pub. Ltd., 2014.




7 comments:

  1. Great blog Jamillah! Your pictures have great contrast and lighting! Did you have to take multiple photos to find the perfect one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiffany! I definitely did take a lot of photos before I chose the perfect one usually around 5-10. You're not going to get the perfect picture right away I take a lot of shots so that I can see which photos are better than others and narrow it down until I find the right one.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it helps to guide your eye around the photos and also to draw attention to what is significant in the picture for your viewer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Robison. Thank you for answering the question! You're correct about how composition helps guides the viewer's eyes to photos and draws attention to the main subject.

      Delete
  4. Your pictures look good Jamillah. I agree, i think that it just helps to focus more on the main attributes as you exclude some of the stuff from the frame that doesn't tie into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mattley! You're absolutely right that composition adds more focus to main attributes of the photos. Thank you for answering the question.

      Delete