Pages

Thursday, November 30, 2017

Don't Wander- Observe

Museums hold the greatest pieces of art known to man. The art ranges from different values and different styles, and each piece has its own unique connotation and creative outlook on the world. The museums in themselves that holds these masterpieces, how ever, only seem to have one purpose and one activity- a place where we can wander around looking at art. Johan Idema stated, "We turn into better observers when sitting down" (23). sitting down simply allows us to focus more, as our brain isn't focused on standing, but rather on the things happening in the world around us.

Museums are often seen as boring, as you simply feel like the only thing to do is to walk around and look, but you can always do more then that. Scattered through out museums are benches and places to sit, not simply for you to have a place to relax if you get tired of walking, but to give you the opportunity to slow down, and look. Idema explains how having benches and furniture around the museums makes us feel like we are at home and rather than a museum, and slows us down to process the art that we are looking at, and allows us to try and come up with what the art means to us.
When applying this technique, I felt as if I wasn't being as rushed, and I had more time to absorb the art and take in the details of the pieces. It made me appreciate the pieces of art more. I found it much easier to pinpoint what I exactly liked about a certain art piece. Combining this with walking up closer to the paintings afterward, it also allowed me to enjoy the art more, as it gave me a different point of view while looking at the art.

How do you feel like this could be applied to your everyday life, and not just a museum?

Idema, Johan. How to Visit an Art Museum: Tips for a Truly Rewarding Visit. BIS Publishers, 2014

6 comments:

  1. I think this can be applied to my normal life by remembering to take the time to really look at things that perhaps I otherwise rush through or take for granted. I can use to it really notice details in interactions, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I think that slowing down will not only help you absorb more details, but also enjoy everything a little bit more. It is very important to go through life at your own pace!

      Delete
  2. This post is very interesting! When you are at a museum you are likely paying to view art or there for the purpose of looking at artwork in depth. I feel we could use this skill to deeply observe our surroundings in our daily life, and take more enjoyment from our settings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting take on how to visit an art museum! I feel like really taking in the art piece, not just glancing at it, is the best way to absorb all the details. This is a good skill to have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree! I am glad to have changed your view of art.

    ReplyDelete