Pages

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Using Common Materials in your Artwork

"This exercise is an adaptation called the Exquisite Corpse... the drawing is constructed using sticky notes... Using them spurs collaboration and promotes healthy competition... As the drawing grows, so does the opportunity to grow the drawing's complexity," (Sherman 54). This artistic exercise is based on a group of people working together to add to an art piece. In this exercise you and others add a sticky note and add to the artwork that was there previously. Here, below, are some examples shown in the book.
 The book states that this activity is commonly done by "inviting friends or colleagues," (Sherman 54). However, In this activity I decided not to work with others, but by myself, (since the purpose of reading these books is to boost our personal skills), So I added a sticky note each day and added to the art I had made the previous day. Overall I feel this activity was nice to try, and I did feel that this was abstract compared to the art I normally prefer to do.
I would highly suggest this activity to others if they wanted to attempt something other than their normal artwork. I feel many people could gain from this activity. So my question for you reading this blog post is,
Does working with others to make artwork help improve your artistic abilities?
Bicknell, Sarah. Sherman, Whitney. Playing with Sketches. Beverly, Rockport Publishers, 2014. 


8 comments:

  1. I love your sticky note art. :) I think anytime you work with others, it can help you to refine your practice. There is always room for growth and improvement and working with others might inspire you or perhaps they will be able to teach you a new technique or way of looking at something. I don't think art is any different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! I found when I started to use common and unexpected materials in my art, it brought a whole new style and look to the table!

      Delete
  2. How do you think that the end piece would have been different if you had worked with multiple people?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the art would have a lot of variation to it, likely not a general theme. Since multiple minds were working together to create the piece. But overall, I think the ending result would be very cool.

      Delete
  3. I think working with others on art will help improve an artist's abilities. You will gain recommendations and suggestions about your art that you may otherwise have not received if you were not working with someone. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I think a powerful way to improve your artistic abilities is to observe others artist's styles and techniques.

      Delete
  4. I do believe that working with others can improve an artist's abilities. When you work with others you gain knowledge of how to improve your art work, as well as learn new techniques that you might have not considered before using. There is a lot you could learn from others; which can be helpful in your art work to make it stronger and improved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I strongly agree with you, often when I am not sure how to make an art piece, I often view other artist for inspiration. I see this act commonly in the art community.

      Delete