Pages

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Drawing Realistic Animals From Photos

Drawing in general is a controversial topic in itself, but drawing realistic things? Animals, especially? How could someone capture every single detail, from the wetness of a dog's nose to the scales of a goldfish? My strong suit in the drawing department is cartoonish, and so realistic drawing seems so out of reach.

The ability to draw, I feel is subject to person. Some people count sketching as drawing, some do not. One thing that people can agree about drawing however is that, if you put emotion behind your art it will shine through.
In this guide on Drawing Realistic Pets From Photographs by Lee Hammond, Hammond expresses the connection between emotion and art. "Artwork is always more inspirational when you are in love with your subject matter." (7.)


Hammond's statement stood out to me through the motivation behind choosing this guide. That motivation would be to draw my own dog, a Siberian Husky puppy named Hiwakea. I agree that using emotion behind artwork makes it easier to accomplish.

Do you agree with Hammond and I: is emotion is the foundation for the motive and inspiration of artwork?

Hammond introduces the use of graphs and how useful they can be. Useful in the sense of proportion - size of the ears, eyes, nose - and for later on shading and blending. The squares isolate the different shapes of the animal, making it easier to emphasize and define. Hammond claims using grids serves as a base for the mentioned techniques. (20). This is Hana the Japanese Cat and my use of graphs.



Hammond, Lee. Drawing realistic pets from photographs. North Light Books, 2005.







8 comments:

  1. Jadenne, your drawing came out great, it looks so realistic! I think its amazing how you were able to draw one section at a time with the use of grids, having it all come together when you finished. I do agree with you guys when you say that loving what your doing makes something come out better. When I want to do something, I put more effort into accomplishing it, and making it come out exactly how I want. Are you going to continue using grids, or will you try to draw something without them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Bryanna! Big thanks for commenting on my post and letting me in on your opinion of emotion behind action. To answer your question, this book does not primarily focus on the use of grids, mainly utilizing it as a tool for people who don’t have a sense of proportion. In future blog posts, you will see me using different methods to make this realistic drawing process a smooth one. Hope you stay tuned in for these future blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think it is. Portraying or conveying an emotion is a motivating factor for many artists. Was it a motivation for you when you chose this subject matter? (Great drawing b.t.w.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it was emotion was one of my motivations for choosing this matter because my own dog, a Siberian Husky, makes some of the most absurd and entertaining faces that I am fortunately able to catch on my phone. Another motivation for me was to get into different art styles because doodling or drawing cartoonish is my strong suit, but I've been interested in tapping into different art styles, especially realistic.

      Delete
  4. I think your drawing looks realistic and I like that you used a grid to draw it. Do you think using a grid makes it easier to draw animals more realistically? Also I agree with you and Hammond because most art shows emotion. I think that that foundation of art is emotion because it inspires people to draw and paint, since you have to be passionate about something to have motivation to draw it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tarnvir! I think grids makes it easy and difficult to draw an animal. In the instance that makes it easier, is proportion. When drawing an animal that requires proportion, it’s good to use grids. In the instance that makes it difficult, it can be challenging to keep it in the grids. As a perfectionist, I tried my best to mimic the eye shape and other parts of the cat, but found myself doing too much to do that.

      Delete
  5. Great job on your drawing, Jadenne! Your drawing looks very realistic and accurate to the actual picture. This graphing technique looks very interesting, would you say this technique would help a beginner, like myself, improve? As for your question, I agree that emotion is a big part of art since the whole purpose of art is to express oneself, similar to how musicians find inspiration for lyrics through their emotions and experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anthony! I do agree that this line drawing will benefit you as a beginner and it can assist you in putting things into scale. Especially if you want to get into realistic drawing, it has helped me. My style is more cartoonish, and not really according to picture. After a while though, you can begin to see throughout my posts I had not used the line drawings because I got a basic understanding of how to put things into scale. If you try this method and find that it does help, let me know and show me so I can see !

      Delete