Pages

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

How to: Makeup Manual / Defining brows

Enhancing and shaping brows has been a trendsetter in 2017. Getting natural, dark, shaped brows has never been easy, so I decided to follow an experts steps: Bobbi Brown, a professional and well-known makeup artist.
Before I read this book, I struggled with my brow routine, and set out with a mission to finding a fool-proof method to having Instagram-worthy eyebrows.
This chapter I am reviewing focuses on shaping and defining brows, Brown includes instructions on filling in brows for different situations. Which in my case, is having nonexistent brows. "Use a pencil the color of original brows, and softly draw in the shape." (Brown 90).
In order to reach my perfect brow using Brown's steps, I followed her instructions, with my Anastasia Beverly Hills eyebrow pencil in the shade "dark brown".

"The start of the brow should follow an imaginary line drawn from the outside of the nose to the inside corner of the eye." (Brown 90).
I used this as a template and kept my eyebrow color at the outside of my nose, reaching the corner of my eye.

Brown also includes many images of the 5 steps to shaping brows, along with small paragraphs beside the picture explaining what to do. As I get further and further into my brow, I reach the arch, and switch my gentle shading technique to pressing the pencil down harder to solidify and darken the color of the brow. Following step 4, I bring the pencil to the center of my brow to create an arch, and then turn the pencil to go down.

Once I finished my brow using Brown's instructions, my eyebrow's looked much more natural. These steps and picture examples that Brown included in her book helped me understand how to outline the natural brow shape, and how to fill in/shape brows without it looking like you filled in your eyebrows completely. Instead of just applying product to one area of my brow and blending it out as I did before, I use a pencil a few shades darker than my brows, and create a color gradient until the arch of my brow, where the color begins to darken.


This was the final product. Trying these procedures the first time through was a minor struggle, nothing a little makeup remover couldn't fix. But the more I practiced the simpler the steps got. Thanks to these steps, my brow routine is no longer a worry for me, and I can flaunt my naturally defined eyebrows.



A question I propose to those reading this, is what has worked better for you guys, eyebrows gels, powders, or pencils? And why?
Thanks for reading and engaging.

Brown, Bobbi, et al. Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual: for Everyone from Beginner to Pro. Springboard Press, 2011.



8 comments:

  1. I have no idea - to answer your question. I only wear, and this is rare, mascara. But I wanted to tell you: wow!!! great work on your brows. You can hardly even tell that you have make-up on. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amelie! These tips are super helpful. I also struggle getting the perfect eyebrows where they look natural but also complete your makeup look. At the moment, I use an eyebrow pencil to fill in my eyebrows because I feel it helps me get a good shape. However, I used to use the Anastasia Beverly Hills Dip Brow which also was a great product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Makenzee! Thank you for reading the post and giving your input. I have used the eyebrow pencil as well, which I have found gives a lighter more feathery look to the brows. The dip brow is just as amazing, but leaves the eyebrows with a more solid and dark look, so I suggest to use dipbrow if your desired look is complete with foundation, eyeshadow, contour, etc. I also agree that they are both great products to use!

      Delete
  3. Hi Amelie! Your brows look amazing! I agree with creating a gradient to create a more natural look. My brows are naturally full so whenever I fill them in, I tend to opt for higher pigmentation through the use of my abh dipbrow pomade in the shade ebony. For more natural days, I use innisfree's eyebrow pencil in the shade light gray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the abh dipbrow's as well since the pigmentation is amazing!

      Delete
  4. Great post! Some products I have and still currently use is the Anastasia brow definer, Anastasia brow wiz, and the Milani stay put brow pomade. Each of these products can create a soft look and also a very dark and sharp look. For a very soft look, I sometimes use Nyx eyebrow powder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are all great products and all will have an outcome of a very sharp, clean brow. Thanks for reading!

      Delete