Pages

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

The Almanac Deck


You're About to Be Amazed!

(Hopefully)

I don't know about you, but doing magic tricks was always cool to me. I loved learning how to baffle my peers and to make the impossible possible. The first trick I ever learned was very inconvenient, but I loved it anyway.  This time I'm focusing on card tricks.

The book I picked up was Karl Fulves' Self-working Close-up Card Magic. It has 56 tricks in total.  The trick I decided to start with is The Almanac Deck. Without further ado, I present what I have learned.



(The video may be messed up from transferal.)


Sadly I cannot add a video on how to do the trick because of file size issues.

The main thing to remember when executing this trick is that "It does not matter whether the reversed card is red or black; always say the deck is on Daylight Saving Time" (Fulves 12). Other things to remember is the trick facts for the explanation of the numbers of cards. I said some of these wrong in my video but these are the correct ones:
  • There are 12 picture cards like the 12 months of the year.
  • There are 52 cards like the 52 weeks of the year.
  • If you add all the values of the deck , plus one for the jokers, you get 365. Just like the number of days in a year.
Here are some things I want to ask you:
Do you think magic is a waste of time? Know any magic tricks yourself?

Please let me know if you liked it or not. :)



Citation: Fulves, Karl. Self-Working Close-up Card Magic: 56 Foolproof Tricks. Dover Publications, 1995.


6 comments:

  1. This is a really cool trick, I like how you explained that "It does not matter whether the reversed card is red or black; always say the deck is on Daylight Saving Time" Personally I have always thought magic was really interesting and cool but I never have really gotten into it. Maybe now I will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magic doesn't need to be a big thing, so learning a few trick should be too hard for you Kyle. Thank you for reading and commenting on my post. There are lots of books on magic, and I'm sure there are some tricks out there that would be perfect for you to learn if you decide to learn some tricks. Maybe you cold show me a trick sometime.

      Delete
  2. I was amazed. Great trick. No. I don't think a hobby is a waste of time. If it makes you happy, it is important to do. :) Plus, this kind of thing spreads a lot of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I think if a hobby makes you happy its a good hobby to have. If it doesn't hurt others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great trick, and the explanation for the trick was really easy to understand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This trick was pretty lengthy, But the overall effect is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete