Pages

Thursday, November 30, 2017

Learning new ways to Draw

I'm somewhat familiar with drawing or sketching things, I never have just taken time out and decided to draw something but after I found the book called Drawing for the absolute beginner by Mark and Mary Willenbrink. I'm only 40 percent into the book and I've learned so many skills and found out how there are different ways to draw a subject.

There are sketches where yo draw lines to frame the subject just right and even, then value sketches which I tried out where you basically use dark and light pencils to contrast the black and white and create lines without lines. "A value sketch is used to observe a subject without much regard for structural or proportional accuracy" (Willenbrink 18). Mark says that this type sketches help the subject be visible without lines.


Do you think that this type of sketching is more appealing than a sketch with lines and structure?


Willenbrink, Mark, and Mary Willenbrink. Drawing for the Absolute Beginner: a Clear & Easy Guide to Successful Drawing. North Light Books, 2006.

9 comments:

  1. I don't think it is more or less appeal necessarily, but I do think this accomplishes a tone/mood very easily. I also think you are very talented - nice work. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Philip, for me this is more appealing than a sketch with lines and structure but I also think it depends on who you are and what pleases you. For some people this way could be more appealing than other forms. I like your work, keep doing you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your opinion and I believe that it doesn't matter what form you use as long as you are trying show something you made.

      Delete
  3. Hello Philip! I think that all different types of sketches are very appealing, but this technique stands out to me more, because I've never done it before and because I haven't seen many drawings with this style. I think that this type of style has a much more dark mood, because of the focus on the shadows. I draw a lot, and have even taken drawing class at Kentridge, and I typically draw using line and structure. This is a great font style that steps outside of the box. I really like the uniqueness of your style. What style do you prefer, and why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Seerut, thank you for the comment. To answer your question, I don't really prefer a style because I think it doesn't matter how it a drawing is drawn as long as you are creating something of your own. I also do agree on the dark mood this drawing has because of its high contrast.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Philip! I feel like the appeal of different types of sketches is all a matter of preference. I usually use lines when I draw, mainly because it's more simple to me and allows me to add in shading if I want to. I can see how people would like this type of sketching that you've done in your post, some may enjoy drawings with a lot more shading and contrast in their picture. If you were a viewer would you find this type of sketching or line sketching more eye catching?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the comment Anthony, I think that if i was viewer i sold find it more appealing than a drawing with lines because of its really dark, deep contrast to compliment the subject.

      Delete