Pages

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Understanding Drawings: Lines


In a previous post, we looked at how lines could convey emotions, in this post, we will look at the texture of lines, and how to convey the physical feeling of a line. This entire concept may sound far-fetched, but lines, depending on how they are drawn, can be seen through more than just sight, but also touch, sound, and sometimes smell. Elaine Clayton says, "Imagery awakens our five senses..." (32 Clayton). Lines can be used to show a lot.
For example:
Which of these is "loud?" 
Look at the line, and go with your gut feeling. Which line conveys noise.
Which of these is "dry?"
What do you see in these lines? Do you see what they convey? Under standing how lines feel, smell, and sound, is important in good drawing, hopefully you can use this technique in your drawing!

Thanks for reading!

Clayton, Elaine. Making Marks: Discover the Art of Intuitive Drawing. Atria Paperback, 2014.



6 comments:

  1. Hi Raiden! I don't know if I would go as far to say lines have a scent, however I do commonly see lines that convey emotion and feeling. Certain artists use special line types to show style and make the art more personal. I think it is so funny how a simple thing like a line can have a big impact on the art you are viewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sarah! It is super fair that you don't think that lines can portray such physical senses like smell. I honestly have trouble with that too. The smell was just an example I used to show how senses can be conveyed. I do think that artists put personality in their art with lines, however. Thanks for commenting, this was very helpful!

      Delete
  2. Hey Raiden! I like how you drew connections between lines and different senses, I hadn't thought about that before. Do you think different types of lines can change the mood of the whole piece? Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ansleigh! I believe that the type of lines that you use can help to create the mood for the piece, but not necessarily change the entire mood. It is important to pay attention to the lines that you use in your art.

      Delete
  3. Hey Raiden! This line to senses concept is really interesting to me. What I think is that looking at a drawing with more pointed and jagged lines can show a rough feeling while straight lines could suggest a more smooth and relaxed feeling. For sound, I think that long jagged lines, like the ones in your picture, convey a louder sound. As for smell, I believe that lines can show that something could have a scent in a drawing but on their own, I don't think lines can give of a smell. Anyways, sorry for the long comment, and good luck in your future drawings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anthony! I don't mind your long comment at all! I agree with everything that you said, I think that jagged convey loud sound, and more of a rough feeling too! Thanks for commenting, i'll be sure to check out your post too.

      Delete