Pages

Friday, December 29, 2017

Sketching Curly Hair

When it comes to sketching curly hair most people dread it. Often people see them as hard to do and hard to get the look they want with them. But according to Charlie Bowater "if you understand how they work, it is a lot easier" (71).  To understand how they work you need to know how to draw them. First I started off with two vertical lines and added a wavy line down the middle. Now depending on how far apart and long you draw the lines will affect the width and length of your curl.  Also when doing this step make sure that the lines you draw are light because those lines are like the guidelines for sketching the curls. Then draw another wavy line a little below the other one.  After that connect the open parts and lastly, remove the guidelines and add detail.  Now when drawing curls variety is key. A tip from Bowater is "look at the hair and how it behaves, simplify, and then draw" (71). Using that tip you are going to have to change the width of your curls, make them slimmer or thicker, split and pull the curl together so the curls look more lively and bouncy as well as you get variety with the curls. As well as you will get a better understanding of how they work and how to add detail to your curls.
Finally when drawing a curly hairstyle, make the curls look natural when drawing the guidelines give it some flow and direction. Then draw the curls.

Bowater suggests that using this technique you can layer the curls one after the other (71). I have tried layering the curls using this technique but it is a little time consuming, though it does give you a better results then what I have tried before.
What techniques help you draw curly hair and do you often dread drawing curly hair? 
Bowater, Charlie. Beginner's Guide to Sketching: Characters, Creatures & Concepts. 3DTotal Publishing, 2015.

12 comments:

  1. This blog post is very interesting because it actually gives me helpful tips in drawing. I am in a drawing class at Kentridge and we are learning how to draw people. So this gives me a lot of helpful tips in my drawing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy that this post gives you helpful tips you can use in art!

      Delete
  2. Hi Milan! I really like your approach to drawing curly hair, it's a hard thing to draw. Thank you for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My art style is often more cartoonish the anything, so often for when i draw hair, everything is very loose and messy, so being able to have a more realistic perspective to when it comes to drawing hair is very helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this technique helps you, and I think you should definitely give it a try because though your art style is more cartoon orient I am sure you can incorporated this style into your art work as well.

      Delete
  4. I normally draw straight hair instead of curly hair, so yes I do often dread it. I often layer wavy and curly lines to give the illusion of curls when I draw Curly hair. I'll definitely have to try this way too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like drawing curls, and I would also often layer wavy and curly lines to give the illusion of curly hair, but this technique really helps when drawing curly hair and it makes it so much easier. Definitely give it try it may really help!

      Delete
  5. I love your blog! I agree that outlining the curl before you draw is the easiest tactic to drawing curls. I do tend to avoid drawing curls because I'm not the best artist but these tips have really inspired me to try different styles in art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Outlining makes a big difference when you draw a curl. I am also not the best artist but doing little things such as an outline and working on technique can really help your drawings look much better, though they may take a little more time and detail, but it is worth it because it gives you a great result.

      Delete
  6. The curls look so good! As a person that has curly hair and likes to draw I find it hard even for myself I draw curls so I end up just drawing squiggly lines. I found your post very helpful and I will be sure to use these techniques when I draw. I wonder if this technique will work for a much larger curl spiral?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm happy you found this post helpful! This technique will work for larger curls as well just make the guidelines for the curls bigger.

    ReplyDelete