Pages

Sunday, December 31, 2017

How to: Makeup Manual / Face

The most important aspect to a complete makeup look is the foundation. Judging just from its name, we can gather that finding a good way to keep an even complexion is one of the first steps to having a good makeup routine. As someone with combination skin (both oily or dry skin depending on time of year), I have yet to find a foundation that sticks all day, doesn't get oily, and gives an airbrushed finished look, all while not damaging my skin during its time of application. Since I have not found a foundation that does all that and evens out my skin tone, I decided to turn to concealing and color- correcting in order to achieve my goal. 
In chapter 4 of Bobbi Brown's Makeup Manual, she provides several different techniques and tips on having good skin coverage for your specific tone/type of skin.
The main aspects I wanted to focus on in the skin makeup category is brightening my under eye area.

"Correctors can be pink or peach toned. Make sure it is applied up to the lashes and in the inner corner space between the eye and the bridge of the nose." (Brown 54). Brown elaborates how to use color corrector the right way.

Before reading this chapter, I was already familiar with color correctors, but not each of their specific jobs. I found through reading this section of the Makeup Manual that peach or pink toned concealers are specifically made for the under eyes, since it cancels out the purple/green/blue tones that under-eye bags typically have. 
I rummaged through my makeup bag and found a NYX under eye color corrector and decided to test it, following Brown's 4 steps to achieving brightened under-eyes.

I started by applying the corrector up to my lash line in order for all the darkness or discoloring to be completely gone. Then I went over the color corrector with my usual Tarte concealer, blended it with a beauty blender, and set tat with setting powder. I used the same routine for the other eye, only without using color corrector,

As seen in the results below, the side with color corrector is much brighter than the side without it, and the color corrector cancelled out the blue and purple tones in my under eyes.





⇡⇡⇡⇡
My left eye: side with only concealer
My right eye: side with color corrector and concealer

Through this chapter, I learned how to properly conceal under-eye darkness using tones that cancel each other out, instead of just applying concealer straight onto my under eyes. Truthfully, I thought this tip would be just like any other hack and not make any true impact, but I was surprised with the outcome and I will certainly be adding this to my foundation routine. A question for those reading is have you guys ever used color corrector? And if so did it work?




B Brown, Bobbi, et al. Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual: for Everyone from Beginner to Pro. Springboard Press, 2011.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Amelie! I agree, when I first heard of color corrector i didn't think they would work. But, I have tried a color corrector for my under eyes once, and it definitely worked! The color cancellation makes a huge impact to help you not look tired and to make your makeup look more complete. Have you tried color corrector on any other parts of your face?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Makenzee! That is true, color correcting does make a huge difference on the complexion. Yes I have used color corrector on other parts of my face. I use green on any red spots, purple and pink for dark circles or any dullness on the skin, and more. All these correspond together and lead to a complete and even look to the skin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amelie! This blog was very helpful as to which products work the best and what products work good for what skin type. I always have a hard time finding what products are good, but after reading this blog, it helped me out. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete